KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Help with sweater pattern (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112764)

sunshinesparkles 04-05-2013 11:14 AM

Help with sweater pattern

I started my first sweater last week and I'm at a loss when it comes to working the sleeves. I've finished the cuff but don't understand the increases. Here's the relevant section:

Quote:

With shortest circular needles, cast on 48 sts. Join for working in the round, Establish k4,p4 rib pattern as follows: p2, *k4, p4; repeat from * to last 6 sts, end k4 p2. Work in rib for a total of 16 rnds. Increase Rnd: Kf&b, knit to last st, kf&b - 2 sts increased. Work increased sts into the k3, p4 rib pattern as they become available, changing to the medium length circular needle if there are too many sts to fit comfortably on the shortes needle. work 7 rnds even. Repeat the last 8 rnds 9 times - 68 sts. Work even until piece measures 18.5 in from beginning. On the next round, place the last 8 sts just worked on a stitch holder, removing the marker for end of rnd from the middle of these sts, work in pattern to end - 60 sts on needle. break yarn.

So I guess my question is, how am i working sts into a k4 p4 pattern when it seems like i'll just have a bunch of knitted stitches at the beginning of the round? and am I supposed to increase on every row until i get 60 sts?

salmonmac 04-05-2013 12:30 PM

Hi and welcome to Knitting Help!
The increase rounds occur every 8 rounds. So work 7 rounds without any increase and then on the 8th round, increase one stitch at the beginning and on at the end of the round. Work these new stitches into the k4p4 pattern on the next round. You'll be repeating the 8 rounds 0 times or until you have 68sts.

Increase Rnd: Kf&b, knit to last st, kf&b - 2 sts increased. Work increased sts into the k4, p4 rib pattern as they become available, changing to the medium length circular needle if there are too many sts to fit comfortably on the shortes needle. work 7 rnds even. Repeat the last 8 rnds 9 times - 68 sts. Work even until piece measures 18.5 in from beginning. On the next round, place the last 8 sts just worked on a stitch holder, removing the marker for end of rnd from the middle of these sts, work in pattern to end - 60 sts on needle. break yarn.

sunshinesparkles 04-05-2013 01:02 PM

Thank you! Do you have any advice for working the new sts into the k4p4 pattern? do i immediately on the next row continue in p2,k4,p4 or start from k4?

This is how I worked my first increase round: kf&b, p1, *k4,p4; p1 kf&b. Is that right?

salmonmac 04-05-2013 03:06 PM

"This is how I worked my first increase round: kf&b, p1, *k4,p4; p1 kf&b. "
That looks good although you might want to purl front & back on the increases. Now you can work 7 rounds without increases and on the 8th round,
Pfb, p2, *k4, p4; repeat from * to last 6 sts, end k4 p2, pfb.
The easiest way to make sure you're continuing the k4p4 pattern is to look at the sts from the previous round. Make sure your columns are still nicely aligned on the sleeve and you'll be fine (of course, the columns at the beginning and end of round are going to have the extra sts in them, but that's ok).