KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   yay happy me! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112796)

ad2knit 04-07-2013 06:26 PM

yay happy me!
 
I can knit!!! Well at least i hope so, lets not jinx it.

Anyway yesterday I went on Youtube and just searched how to hold yarn knitting or something like that and came across this video and I thought " Oh my god maybe that's the problem" So I got my knitting needles and just tried to hold the yarn like the video shows and yay after doing so I felt no strain in my right hand and started knitting a bit more and yay no pain anywhere!!! Yay me!!!

Well sort of. While there is no pain anywhere on my right, somehow I am straining my left hand, although i dont really use my left hand much so how i'm straining it I have no idea. I have tried to hold the needle on my left a bit looser but i'm not sure if its helping much...any tips?


but the good news is yay I can knit now :) no pain - sort of lol! Yay! And it means no doctor visit either - I hope!

PS I know i've been going on about my hands since i joined up here, sorry! I promise this is the last hand thread..well again ,I hope!

Jan in CA 04-07-2013 07:06 PM

Yay! I wrap it little bit differently, but it's still English method. How have you been holding the yarn? Left hand or right? I can knit continental (left), but I still find English easier.

salmonmac 04-07-2013 07:26 PM

Ah, good. I'm glad you've found something that works. Enjoy your knitting!

justplaincharlotte 04-07-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ad2knit (Post 1374088)
I can knit!!! Well at least i hope so, lets not jinx it.

Anyway yesterday I went on Youtube and just searched how to hold yarn knitting or something like that and came across this video and I thought " Oh my god maybe that's the problem" So I got my knitting needles and just tried to hold the yarn like the video shows and yay after doing so I felt no strain in my right hand and started knitting a bit more and yay no pain anywhere!!! Yay me!!!

Well sort of. While there is no pain anywhere on my right, somehow I am straining my left hand, although i dont really use my left hand much so how i'm straining it I have no idea. I have tried to hold the needle on my left a bit looser but i'm not sure if its helping much...any tips?


but the good news is yay I can knit now :) no pain - sort of lol! Yay! And it means no doctor visit either - I hope!

PS I know i've been going on about my hands since i joined up here, sorry! I promise this is the last hand thread..well again ,I hope!

Congratulations on finding a method that helps with your right hand pain!:woohoo:

If you're holding the needles the same way as in the video, and you're naturally right handed, it may just be that your left hand musculature is getting exercised in a way it's not used to.

You may want to take breaks to rest that left hand just as you would rest your legs when walking more than you're accustomed to doing. Endurance will come.

Jan in CA 04-07-2013 09:20 PM

Just for the record since it often comes up...I'm right handed and was a crocheter, but I still am happy and quite fast when I want to be with English knitting. :thumbsup:

ad2knit 04-08-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1374089)
Yay! I wrap it little bit differently, but it's still English method. How have you been holding the yarn? Left hand or right? I can knit continental (left), but I still find English easier.

English is def easier for me. Tried continental but its not easy when you are a righty lol. show me how you do it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte (Post 1374093)
Congratulations on finding a method that helps with your right hand pain!:woohoo:

If you're holding the needles the same way as in the video, and you're naturally right handed, it may just be that your left hand musculature is getting exercised in a way it's not used to.

You may want to take breaks to rest that left hand just as you would rest your legs when walking more than you're accustomed to doing. Endurance will come.

Spoke too soon!!! Index finger pain is baaaack doh! I jinxed it. Maybe I should go back to trying knitting with bamboo?

Antares 04-08-2013 08:40 AM

So sorry that didn't work for you either. But there are lots of ways to hold the yarn and needles and to knit. Check out this video of a woman who does Portuguese knitting. She claims it requires very few hand movements, so perhaps it will work for you. If not, there are other methods to try. Take a look on YouTube and see what you find.

ad2knit 04-08-2013 09:17 AM

Im not giving up!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antares (Post 1374134)
So sorry that didn't work for you either. But there are lots of ways to hold the yarn and needles and to knit. Check out this video of a woman who does Portuguese knitting. She claims it requires very few hand movements, so perhaps it will work for you. If not, there are other methods to try. Take a look on YouTube and see what you find.

I will knit! LOL!

I'm gonna see if working with Bamboo is better...or maybe I should buy circs....

N0obKnitter 04-08-2013 10:42 AM

I'm right handed and I can't knit American/English style if you put a gun to my head.

I've started trying to crochet, too.

GrumpyGramma 04-08-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N0obKnitter (Post 1374142)
I'm right handed and I can't knit American/English style if you put a gun to my head.

I've started trying to crochet, too.


I don't think handedness, right or left, or crocheting first has much to do with the preferred method for knitting. I'm right handed, crocheted for years, couldn't manage to knit English, didn't know there was another way and kept trying to knit more like I crochet and then found out it's Continental knitting. Others who crochet first prefer English style. Here's something to throw into the mix, I'm left eye dominant and most right handed people are right eye dominant or so said my optometrist. Maybe that's why my right hand has a hard time tensioning and not dropping the yarn. Probably totally irrelevant! My point is, we can find all kinds of explanations for why one person knits one way and the other knits the other way but all that really matters is: Do you knit? Do you enjoy it? I can now knit English style and sort of purl English style, knowing both comes in handy.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:10 AM.


copyright knittinghelp.com