KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Addi Turbo needles size 8-16" circs (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112831)

Paulaque 04-11-2013 08:59 PM

Addi Turbo needles size 8-16" circs

I got my first pair of these, and I have to say I hate them with a passion. My hands are so sore typing is difficult. And, I only knit with them for 50 sts x 75 rows! They are TOO slick! I regret buying them, and will probably never use them again, unless someone knows a way to make them not so slippery.:wall: :nails: :tap: :grrr: :gah: :hair:

Jan in CA 04-11-2013 09:24 PM

Metal needles just require practice. If you can't or won't do that I'm sure you can find a good home for them.

GrumpyGramma 04-11-2013 09:27 PM

I've not used the larger sizes in Addi Turbo but the size 0 is horrid! The cable kinked the first time I used it and now it insists on coiling. I've about decided to finish the socks with DPNs even though they're harder to take with me. I don't think they're any slicker than nickel plated needles but the tips on mine are way too blunt and slow me down. :shrug: Turbo?

Jan in CA 04-11-2013 10:03 PM

I don't like the tips, too blunt. I have also heard the issue of bent cables, but haven't experienced it on the few I have used.

Paulaque 04-11-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1374464)
I've not used the larger sizes in Addi Turbo but the size 0 is horrid! The cable kinked the first time I used it and now it insists on coiling. I've about decided to finish the socks with DPNs even though they're harder to take with me. I don't think they're any slicker than nickel plated needles but the tips on mine are way too blunt and slow me down. :shrug: Turbo?

"Addi Turbo needles are truly great, fast circular needles! The metal in these makes projects slide easier and faster!!" what jimmybeanswool says about them, they are super super slick, as we say down here, slicker than snot, I have dozens of metal (aluminum anodizes) and none of them are as slick as these!

GrumpyGramma 04-11-2013 10:27 PM

I'm thinking you're used to bamboo needles, yeah? You might get used to them, it's hard to say. Lots of people love them it seems. I'm not a fan. I have aluminum needles, I don't think my sz. 0 are any slicker than the aluminum DPNs of the same size.

ETA
Quote:

someone knows a way to make them not so slippery.
Dip 'em in molasses? *ducking for cover*

Paulaque 04-11-2013 10:47 PM

lol, and I use my straights more than anything, and they are aluminum, I was told by my cuz that her addi regulars are not as slick as the turbos, and she is going to trade me, yay!

Antares 04-11-2013 11:05 PM

Glad you found a solution to your problem.

I will say this: different yarns perform differently on different needles. With some yarns, I've started out with bamboo, switched to wood, and then finally gone with my Boye metal needles as the best ones to work with that yarn.

Certainly it's a matter of preference, but sometimes the slicker needles are necessary--and, of course, sometimes they just cause problems!

Paulaque 04-12-2013 12:05 AM

pictures of my needles and supplies

2 Attachment(s)
I have many many many more aluminum needles than bamboo (all are hand me downs from my aunt, who never used them) and the other picture is of the addi turbos, the silver circs, and crochet hooks, etc.

Paulaque 04-12-2013 12:09 AM

the silver with the blue cord is the addi turbos

1 Attachment(s)