KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Wikipedia article on continental... (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112940)

N0obKnitter 04-21-2013 06:13 PM

Wikipedia article on continental...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_knitting

I didn't know it makes tighter fabric!

Artchic528 04-21-2013 06:49 PM

Interesting! I never knew that.

GrumpyGramma 04-21-2013 07:41 PM

I'm not good enough at English style to do a real comparison myself. I know I knit more tightly Continental because I can hold the yarn more easily in my left hand and I've only recently been able to knit English style at all. I'd be interested in knowing what people who do both styles well experience. I wouldn't be surprised if at least some primarily English style knitters knit more loosely when knitting Continental. Maybe we Continental knitters are more like to have a choke hold on the yarn.

N0obKnitter 04-21-2013 08:10 PM

I don't really knit tightly IMO (CONTINENTAL) but knitting socks with nickel plated dpns makes me have a death grip due to the yarn wanting to run off!

GrumpyGramma 04-21-2013 08:28 PM

My tension these days comes closer to matching what a label or pattern will say it should be with whatever size needles. Because I have a hard time holding the yarn consistently with my right hand my English style is less consistent and more inclined to look sloppy. If I concentrate, it's not bad. Wait a minute! I just remembered: To practice holding the yarn in my right hand I was knitting one sock English the other Continental and as long as I really paid attention I saw no appreciable difference between the two. My sometimers is high gear today. Really it's the purling that messes me up, English style that is.

If you ever have the chance to try the wood needles WEBS and Knit Picks sell, you might like them for socks. More grippy than nickel plate and less than bamboo.

Lizars1735 04-21-2013 08:30 PM

I started out with English and switched to Continental and I knit more loosely in continental. When I tried color work with both hands, the stitches I knit English were might tighter.

GrumpyGramma 04-21-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizars1735 (Post 1375493)
I started out with English and switched to Continental and I knit more loosely in continental. When I tried color work with both hands, the stitches I knit English were might tighter.

In my attempts at colorwork, I have looser stitches in English. Same thing, just reversed. My best guess is that whicever way someone is more comfortable with will be the way that's a bit tighter and more consistent. The book referenced in the Wiki is copyrighted 1938. There are probably a lot more people who knit both ways these days and, not having read it, I can't be sure the reference was based on a significant number of knitters.

Jan in CA 04-21-2013 11:14 PM

My continental is looser.

Antares 04-22-2013 01:42 PM

First and foremost: you have to take Wikipedia with a huge grain of salt. It's written by any old person with a computer and can (and does) proclaim any old thing that someone wants to type.

Soooo . . . I wouldn't put too much credence in this claim (or any other "fact" you find on Wikipedia--unless, of course, you've verified it from a reputable source . . . or two or three)!

Just cuz it's online doesn't make it true!

Dclutterchique 04-22-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antares (Post 1375562)
First and foremost: you have to take Wikipedia with a huge grain of salt. It's written by any old person with a computer and can (and does) proclaim any old thing that someone wants to type.

Soooo . . . I wouldn't put too much credence in this claim (or any other "fact" you find on Wikipedia--unless, of course, you've verified it from a reputable source . . . or two or three)!

Just cuz it's online doesn't make it true!

Or to summarize "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Winston Churchill:rofl: