KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Better Bind-off? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112952)

IslandTime 04-22-2013 06:26 PM

Better Bind-off?

When I do the basic bind-off in stocking st, I don't like the way the edge rolls forward onto the right side. I really don't want that look for the finish, if I'm binding off at the neckline for a doll's sweater. I'd like that edge to sit right on top.

Is it something I'm doing wrong, or is there a knack to this, or - ? I've found it sits a little better if I alternate k & p, but that doesn't look especially neat.

Are there other bind-offs that work better, or is it me? :??

Thanks for any tips and help!

Jan in CA 04-22-2013 06:33 PM

If it's stockinette that is just the nature of the beast. You can try binding off on the purl side. I don't know if it will help, but it looks nicer from that side sometimes anyway.

The only other idea is to knit a non curling border like garter or seed stitch.

IslandTime 04-22-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1375587)
If it's stockinette that is just the nature of the beast. You can try binding off on the purl side. I don't know if it will help, but it looks nicer from that side sometimes anyway.

The only other idea is to knit a non curling border like garter or seed stitch.

So are you saying that if you do a few rows - maybe 3? - of non curling stitch then bind off, the bind off row won't roll to the finished side?

Jan in CA 04-22-2013 06:51 PM

It often takes more, but it can't hurt. Where is the edge? If its a hem on the bottom you may need more than a neck. Sometimes the edge will still fold along the edge between the border and stockinette. :zombie:

IslandTime 04-22-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1375590)
It often takes more, but it can't hurt. Where is the edge? If its a hem on the bottom you may need more than a neck. Sometimes the edge will still fold along the edge between the border and stockinette. :zombie:

I'm such a dolt, lol. I knew stockinette rolls of course, but for whatever reason thought it was the bind off ITSELF rolling forward. It's usually necklines that bother me. If I'm doing a sweater from the bottom up, I always start with a non-rolling trim - it just never occurred to me that binding off needed the same - like I said, "dolt". :blush:

Jan in CA 04-22-2013 07:10 PM

:). It happens.

IslandTime 04-23-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1375595)
:). It happens.

Mulling this over a bit - for a front neckline (knit from the bottom up), I'm casting off about 6 or 8 sts mid-row then continuing up and over the shoulder and down the back. Not sure how it'd work out to change to gs or other non-rolling st just for the neckline. Could do some designs to suit it though. Have to get more creative I guess!

Becky Morgan 04-24-2013 08:11 PM

If you can crochet, single crochet or crab stitch (sc worked backwards) might give you the edge you're looking for.

GrumpyGramma 04-24-2013 08:15 PM

It won't stop stockinette from curling as it's the nature of the beast, but binding off in purl on the RS seems to work well for a flatter edge IME.

IslandTime 04-24-2013 08:49 PM

Becky & GG - Good tips, I'll experiment - thanks!