KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   keeping row count with circular needle (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113016)

Marg1e 04-29-2013 12:40 AM

keeping row count with circular needle

What's the best way, team?
Please?

salmonmac 04-29-2013 05:05 AM

I use a one of those little barrel counters. They're made with a thin plastic tether that goes over the needle like a stitch marker so that you can use them when knitting a tube. Or I just knit what looks like the right number of rounds and then count up a column of sts.

GrumpyGramma 04-29-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Or I just knit what looks like the right number of rounds and then count up a column of sts.
Me too. If I feel I need to be more aware of the number of rows, I go really high tech and I make marks on a piece of paper. Some people use row markers.

Marg1e 04-29-2013 06:00 PM

Ah; I should've been more specific. Comme d'habitude.
My garment has reached the stage where the two ... erhmm ... shirt-tails have been joined, and I am now knitting the entire thing as an uninterrupted item on my 100mm circular needle. (It's bloody difficult, too, shoving the stitches around all the time; but that's another story.)
So I can't put a stitch-counter on.
Marks on a piece of paper, eh? You lot are as technically advanced as I am! ;)
I think I might go to a site like Dragonext and see if I can find a little counter of some kind - one that stands on feet ...

salmonmac 04-29-2013 06:12 PM

Ah, yes. I'm a fan of the pencil and paper myself but in extremis, I've used a barrel counter with a strand of yarn through the barrel and then looped and tied over the needle. Not very elegant but it at least stays put and serves a a round marker/counter when I travel with knitting.
I do understand and sympathize with the "shoving the sts" maneuver which is also technically advanced.

GrumpyGramma 04-29-2013 06:23 PM

Go glamorous! Hang your row counter round your neck, it will be avant garde jewelry. Actually I've seen them that are supposed to go around the neck. I think on youtube I saw something about a bracelet row counter. Pushing and shoving must be all the rage, I've got some of that going on with my current project.

Mystery: Why can't I remember to advance the row counter but can remember to put a mark on a piece of paper?

salmonmac 04-29-2013 06:30 PM

Yes to all of what GG says. For flat knitting, I changed to counting every 2 rows. I advance the marker when I turn back to the RS. Somehow....that works in my brain.

Lizars1735 04-29-2013 06:33 PM

I have one of those electronic row counters that will keep track of 3 projects at once, but it's too easy to hit the wrong button. It works, though. But I also use marks on a piece of paper as a backup. Marks right on the pattern so I know where I'm at. Usually I'll remember to do one of them.

Marg1e 04-30-2013 06:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hmm ... easy to see that no tried, tested, true solution exists, eh, ladies?
:-|
I've ordered one of those manual tally counters. Had to go to bloody eBay, in the end. How I loathe eBay. Anyway, the bastard I ordered it from is supposed to've sent it overnight delivery; but to say that I have my doubts is grossly understating the case.
So I shall shortly (depending) be able to add my comments re yet another method of counting rows.

Marg1e 05-01-2013 01:35 AM

Wondering why I loathe eBay?
I put in my on-line order yesterday morning at 8:15, paying an extra twelve bucks for express overnight postage.
Just now - which, in Sydney terms, is 3:30 pm the following day, I've received email saying the item has been posted.
:wall: