KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   KnitPicks vs. Knitter's Pride needles (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113024)

Lizars1735 04-29-2013 05:27 PM

KnitPicks vs. Knitter's Pride needles

So, after learning in a different thread that KnitPicks has changed manufacturers after I bought the NP interchangeable set, I called them and they agreed to take back the set. :cheering: They do have really good customer service.
So now I want to get the Knitter's Pride nova nickel plated set from the Knitting Help store. I just want to see if anyone else has bought that set recently, and if the tips are still as pointy as KnitPicks NP used to be. I have some older tips and they are nice, sharp "poke holes in your fingers" points, and that's what I want. I know some of you out there have gotten the Dreamz sets. Are they sharp?

Thanks for all your help and input, knitters.

GrumpyGramma 04-29-2013 05:45 PM

My Knitter's Pride NP set has good tips. Not poke-a-hole-in-my-finger pointy with the ones I'm using now (sz. 8 and 5) for knitting in the round, the 4 & 5 ones are definitely ouch! sharp. They seem to be the same as the sampler set ones I got and I think that was at least a year ago. The sz. 0 circ is very sharp. Even with the 8 I don't want to push on the end of it much. I had an issue with a Cubics I got from WEBS and they replaced it. I'd say if you need to talk to the customer service people, call them rather than email.
HTH

HeathersHobbies 04-29-2013 06:42 PM

I bought the dreamz set and they are very pointy but do not hurt your fingers. I like them a lot.

sheldon 04-29-2013 06:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Lizars,

I was taking photos of all our Knitters Pride kits today and I just snapped this one for you (click to see the full size image). It shows the tips on the US size 4 and the US size 8 needles.

I would say that the Novas are about a 7 or 8 on the pointy scale. They are not "finger-hurtin" pointy, but they are definitely not blunt either. They are slightly more sharp than the Dreamz and a lot more pointy than Addi Turbos. They look more pointy in person than in the photo. These needles are hard to photograph accurately on account of being very shiny. I think the close up view also kind of diminishes the points. I put a centimeter ruler near them for perspective. They taper down to a <1mm which is pretty small.

I hope this helps and thanks for considering purchasing from our shop. ;)

Sheldon

Lizars1735 04-29-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheldon (Post 1376091)
Hi Lizars,

I was taking photos of all our Knitters Pride kits today and I just snapped this one for you (click to see the full size image). It shows the tips on the US size 4 and the US size 8 needles.

I would say that the Novas are about a 7 or 8 on the pointy scale. They are not "finger-hurtin" pointy, but they are definitely not blunt either. They are slightly more sharp than the Dreamz and a lot more pointy than Addi Turbos. They look more pointy in person than in the photo. These needles are hard to photograph accurately on account of being very shiny. I think the close up view also kind of diminishes the points. I put a centimeter ruler near them for perspective. They taper down to a <1mm which is pretty small.

I hope this helps and thanks for considering purchasing from our shop. ;)

Sheldon

Sheldon, you are the greatest!! Thank you for doing that. They look plenty sharp. I will get my order placed so hopefully they will make it here before the weekend.

sheldon 04-29-2013 07:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For the sake of comparison, here is the size US 8 and US 5 from the Denise Interchangeable Kit. These needles are probably a 5 in terms of sharpness. Kind of a middle ground. You can easily tell that they are quite a bit blunter than the Novas.

sheldon 04-29-2013 07:10 PM

Thank you! I have them in stock, so they will ship out tomorrow. You should get them in 2 - 3 days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizars1735 (Post 1376092)
Sheldon, you are the greatest!! Thank you for doing that. They look plenty sharp. I will get my order placed so hopefully they will make it here before the weekend.

Lizars1735 04-29-2013 07:22 PM

My order has been placed. Thank you!!

Lizars1735 05-02-2013 10:02 PM

I already got my needles! Thanks for getting them out so quick! The points look great. I'm so excited!

N0obKnitter 05-03-2013 01:01 PM

Hmmm. :teehee: