KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   knitting in the round: it's twisted (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113047)

Marg1e 05-02-2013 01:19 AM

knitting in the round: it's twisted

I have well over 200 stitches on this bloody 100cm circular needle, and trying to control them has proved well-nigh impossible. I've used almost one ball of my BWM 10 ply, which means nearly 4 normal balls; and only now do I realise that owing to the INFURIATING way the knitting emerging rolls up and prevents my actually seeing what I'm doing, I have managed, somehow, to get the two lower parts twisted when I joined them.
I took such care! - I was POSITIVE they were aligned on the one plane.
But they are not: finally I can see that.
My brain is so addled, and I am so tired, that I have to ask this mind-blowingly stupid question: is there any way of saving it?

Marg1e 05-02-2013 01:43 AM

Forget it.
My brain, struggling with it all, points out after all that nothing can be done. No putting off onto other needles and turning - nothing would conceivably work. It's a Moebius thing and it's not meant to be.
The herringbone pattern is quite wonderful, and so simple. But this large garment is not one to be worked out unless one is paying total attention - and even then one can stuff up. As I have done.
Six days' work, off and on: nearly four balls of wool.
Must've done something wicked.

jinxnit55 05-02-2013 01:50 AM

Rats! I'm sorry you have to frog it!

GrumpyGramma 05-02-2013 02:09 AM

I am so sorry! I just had the same problem only on a much smaller scale. I've not done it yet myself but have read here that you can knit a few rows flat before joining them and that helps eliminate doing the same thing again.

Whatcha wanna bet: If we wanted to twist the dang things they wouldn't!

salmonmac 05-02-2013 06:17 AM

We've all done it (and some of us or at least one of us, more than once). It's just painful, but somehow, re-knitting seems to take less time and there you are back at the unused yarn.
You're working on a long enough needle that your sts aren't too crowded? That makes things harder. One other possibility is to knit a few rows back and forth before joining in the round. That'll make it easier to line up the cast on and make sure the piece isn't twisted. You can use the tail to close up the initial seam.
Good luck with this the second time around!

Ingrid 05-02-2013 08:12 AM

Been there. It's very frustrating. The only way to 'fix' it would be to sew and cut a steek, but that would probably mess up your pattern.

It's funny that we love to knit, but hate to reknit something we've messed up.

N0obKnitter 05-02-2013 08:19 AM

I c/o 84 sts yesterday and twisted the join. Argh.

My "favourite" mistake is knitting with the tail. :grrr:

Marg1e 05-02-2013 04:37 PM

Sighh ... At least I am not alone in my moronicness (I have a tendency to invent words that suit).
The pattern I'm knitting - and yes, I WILL DO IT!, regardless of the seemingly endless need for starting over - starts with knitting a kind of shirt-tail for front and for back and then joining them into the one, seamless garment and going from there. I doubt there to be any possibility of protecting oneself from doing something halfwitted: one must simply CON-CEN-TRATE.
This is the pattern, so that you can all see what a beautiful garment this is, and why I shall never give up on it ...
I'm very much appreciative of all the input: it does indeed make one feel less isolated in one's stupidity.
:blush:

GrumpyGramma 05-02-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

I WILL DO IT
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Some days I know I've cornered the market for stupidity. :mrgreen:
It is nice to know I'm not alone.

You'll get it done, I'm confident of that.

salmonmac 05-02-2013 06:52 PM

Oh, that is a gorgeous sweater. You'll do it and we can't wait to see it!