KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   I'm a weather wuss (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113077)

GrumpyGramma 05-06-2013 03:35 PM

I'm a weather wuss

I gave in and bought a portable AC unit yesterday, the kind that doesn't go in the window but is vented at the window. I just got it set up in my BR and so far, with fans to push the cooled air around it's keeping the LR from heating up to an oven. When we get over 80F here and we're just about there now, my apt. turns into an oven. I could do w/o it today, just open the windows on the cooler side and use fans, but I wanted to test it out before we get into the 90s. If anyone has been thinking of getting one of these things, I'd say go for it! I might get a 2nd so I have one in the LR too. Even with the vent hose installed, if I don't need the AC I can still open the window and I didn't even have to remove the screen. Yes! The window units are made for double hung windows, y'know, and it's a real pain in ye olde arse to install one in a sliding window. I really will be glad not to have to mess with that again.

I succumbed because I get physically ill in hot weather. Yesterday it was about 84F and I was out and about and didn't realize, because I didn't really feel hot or sweaty because it was dry and breezy, that the heat was getting to me. I came home, ate some salt and drank a bunch of water and felt better very quickly. I must remember to keep my salt and fluid intakes up. If you get sick in the heat, do be careful, please.

N0obKnitter 05-06-2013 03:59 PM

What the heck is a "double hung" window? :hiding:

GrumpyGramma 05-06-2013 04:13 PM

What the heck is a "double hung" window?

Picture included in link above. I only know because I've been around people who talked about them.

HeathersHobbies 05-06-2013 04:18 PM

I have a portable a/c they are great. I live in a condo and our upstairs loft gets like an oven even though we have central air.

N0obKnitter 05-06-2013 04:29 PM

Oh! We have the other kind. Our house is circa 1980. :O

Jan in CA 05-06-2013 04:40 PM

We open windows and used a godawful number of fans for years. It's been getting hotter every summer though and I can't take it anymore. We broke down and got new ducting, forced air unit and central a/c. The heating and cooling can be turned on in just one room so it's easy to cool just the bedroom at night which is nice. Rainy today though.

My doc recently instructed me to only drink about 8 cups of water then drink Gatorade or another electrolyte drink. I add a bit of water to it so its tolerable.

I also have sliding windows.

GrumpyGramma 05-06-2013 04:53 PM

To me Gatorade and the like taste nasty, like sweat, unless I need them. Then they're OK.

Hahah! I agree, but I did find one that is tolerable when diluted. It's called fruit punch. The other flavors are nasty. I plan to check other things out though.

justplaincharlotte 05-07-2013 09:38 PM

Congrats on finding an easily used window unit, GG! There's not much worse than being sensitive to the heat in the warmer seasons, and I'm glad you've found a way to stay cool!

GrumpyGramma 05-07-2013 10:00 PM

How'd this happen?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1376553)
To me Gatorade and the like taste nasty, like sweat, unless I need them. Then they're OK.

Hahah! I agree, but I did find one that is tolerable when diluted. It's called fruit punch. The other flavors are nasty. I plan to check other things out though.

BTW, we almost got one of the portable a/c units before we did this. My house is too big for just one though and there was really no good way to vent it with the big sliding doors especially since they get used all the time.

Someone added to what I wrote.
Quote:

was all I wrote.

GrumpyGramma 05-07-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte (Post 1376686)
Congrats on finding an easily used window unit, GG! There's not much worse than being sensitive to the heat in the warmer seasons, and I'm glad you've found a way to stay cool!

Thanks, Charlotte, but the point is that it's not a window unit. It vents out the window but the whole thing sits inside. There's a panel that goes in the window with a dryer vent thing on it and the dryer vent hose goes from the AC to the vent in the panel. This is it. With a window unit, I'd not be able to open and close the window when I want. It's not hot today, the window is open, nature's AC can do the job. :)