KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   irritated by Ravelry (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113129)

Marg1e 05-12-2013 01:16 AM

irritated by Ravelry

Why, when I want to follow a link someone's posted that leads to something within Ravelry, am I instantly confronted with the need to create an identity therein before I can read anything?
It's the only site I know that doesn't provide 'guest' access without any need to log in (unless you want to actually say/write anything).
Anyone know?

GrumpyGramma 05-12-2013 01:18 AM

You have to join, yes, in order to use pattern search or anything. I rarely do anything at ravelry except look at patterns. I've not gotten spam because of joining there.

shadowfox118 05-12-2013 01:18 AM

i've found a few sites like this, with ravelry it's really worth the time to make an account

Marg1e 05-12-2013 01:22 AM

Hmm ... a few, eh? - me, no others. Well, not counting the commercial sites, of course; but that's a horse of a different colour.
Looks like Ravelry must place itself in the commercial ranks.
:neutral:

RochesterKnitter 05-12-2013 06:21 AM

Maybe I misunderstood you but, Ravelry usually does let you look at the pattern page, from a link, as a guest.

If you want to navigate further into Ravelry, say look at projects made from that pattern, then yes, you have to join.

But, joining is free and, as far as I am aware I have never gotten spam via them so it is quit worth joining to have access to all those patterns, projects, yarn database, notes, pictures etc.

I will say that the forum seems to be better here. Quicker responses, easier to search, not broken up in its layout. IMO.

KnittinGal 05-12-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1377065)
I rarely do anything at ravelry except look at patterns.

That's me! I like KnittingHelp's forum just fine...seems more "close-knit"!

KG :wink:

Marg1e 05-12-2013 09:40 PM

Agreed.
I've been a Ravelry member, and found that what I'd initially thought was useful - creating records in lists and stuff - I fairly rapidly forgot all about.
And the forums, as has already been stated, are definitely inferior.
Imnsho, I suppose I must add.
:teehee:

GrumpyGramma 05-12-2013 09:52 PM

Knitting Help is unique as far as I can tell. It's devoted to knitting help. The crochet forum gets used but not as much. I think Sheldon said they are going to work on developing the crochet forum more and having a crochet pattern directory too. I expect there will also be crochet videos. One thing I noticed at one of the main forums is that crochet and knitting are all lumped together and you might think a question is about knitting and find as you read that it's about crochet. That's IMO not helpful and is inconvenient. I hope that the two stay separated here; crochet is good and I've done a lot of it and if I need or can give help I want to have a place to go that's for crochet. We can stray off topic here without getting our virtual wrists slapped and I like that. Camaraderie among members is nice. The size of ravelry alone is off putting to me.

Marg1e 05-12-2013 09:59 PM

So is Amy still around? - or has she, once having got all this underway, moved on to Something Else?
I don't see her name around, contemporaneously speaking ...

GrumpyGramma 05-12-2013 10:09 PM

Amy doesn't post often. She was around at Easter and has posted occasionally since and has been doing videos which involves Sheldon also I think. Sheldon posts when the spirit moves him or he has news for us. With the web site, two kids, and whatever else they have going, I think they're pretty busy.