KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Ethical Fashion Web Start Up Looking for Advice (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113148)

abdels 05-13-2013 04:33 PM

Ethical Fashion Web Start Up Looking for Advice

Hi Guys,

This my first post and I'm really not trying to spam but would appreciate your help.

My partner and I (who is a keen knitter) are researching ethical fashion for a London based web startup that we are in the process of building. This is our second startup with our most recent one being The Super Times, (thesupertimes dot com)

The idea came from our own difficulty with how time consuming it is for us to buy boutique ethical fashion online. So far, we've successfully interviewed some shoppers sharing our problem and a few ethical fashion brands to understand the ethical fashion market.

If you also share our problem it would be great if we can chat. It would be great if this can happen offline (20 mins max) as one to one conversations reveal more insight. As such this will have to happen over Skype or Google Chat.

We would love to understand your shopping experience online or offline including any challenges you face when trying to do it.

We're genuinely not selling anything, just looking for advice.

PS: please private message me your Skype or Google Chat username if you're interested.

Cheers,

Abdel

Marg1e 05-13-2013 08:09 PM

Woulda thought the phrase an oxymoron, personally.
But that could be because I've never been interested in 'fashion', I s'pose - it's never been provided for those of my measurements.
This is a strange place to come in search of that kind of input.
:??

N0obKnitter 05-13-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abdels (Post 1377202)
Hi Guys,

This my first post and I'm really not trying to spam but would appreciate your help.

My partner and I (who is a keen knitter) are researching ethical fashion for a London based web startup that we are in the process of building. This is our second startup with our most recent one being The Super Times, (thesupertimes dot com)

The idea came from our own difficulty with how time consuming it is for us to buy boutique ethical fashion online. So far, we've successfully interviewed some shoppers sharing our problem and a few ethical fashion brands to understand the ethical fashion market.

If you also share our problem it would be great if we can chat. It would be great if this can happen offline (20 mins max) as one to one conversations reveal more insight. As such this will have to happen over Skype or Google Chat.

We would love to understand your shopping experience online or offline including any challenges you face when trying to do it.

We're genuinely not selling anything, just looking for advice.

PS: please private message me your Skype or Google Chat username if you're interested.

Cheers,

Abdel

Why can't we just respond here? I think handing out information to someone we don't know is ill advised. My spidey senses are tingling.

abdels 05-14-2013 05:47 AM

No worries, makes sense.

Please feel free to provide any thoughts here :)

N0obKnitter 05-14-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abdels (Post 1377262)
No worries, makes sense.

Please feel free to provide any thoughts here :)

Define "ethical."

ArtLady1981 05-14-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N0obKnitter (Post 1377269)
Define "ethical."

Exactly what I was thinking! "Ethical" Fashion? Huh? As Opposed To Knock-Off Fashions??

Am I totally unaware of fashion speak?

Jan in CA 05-14-2013 01:32 PM

While this is an unusual post it's not considered spam. If you have a question ask, but please be kind in your responses. Not responding if you don't have anything to offer him is also acceptable.

sheldon 05-14-2013 02:20 PM

I believe ethical fashion refers to clothing that is socially and environmentally conscious. So this would mean clothes that are not made in sweatshops. Fair trade and fair wages. Clothing which is produced using environmentally low impact means, such as organic cotton, organic wool, etc. One can even go further to vegan fashion, which would shun leather and animal fibers on an ethical basis.

We occasionally buy organic cotton onesies or blankets for the baby, usually online. Amy has a few pairs of yoga pants made from hemp and organic cotton. Around here, there are a few boutiques that offer such clothing, but it tends to come at quite a premium. I rarely buy clothes, but when I do, it's at the mall where it's rare to find organic.

HeathersHobbies 05-14-2013 07:46 PM

I currently Crochet Organic cotton Baby shoes and sell them on Etsy and they seem to sell the most out of any of the other fibers I use. If you search Etsy.com you should find a lot of sellers who are interested in selling wholesale and offer organic and eco friendly clothing.

Jan in CA 05-15-2013 02:48 AM

The problem for me mainly is cost, availability and occasionally style. I do sometimes buy organic cotton or other fiber yarn for knitting, but cost is always a factor.