KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   pfb (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113166)

Marg1e 05-15-2013 05:27 PM

pfb

My current project called for this extraordinarily difficult caper, early on.
The act of purling the front AND THEN PURLING THE BACK of a stitch (in order to increase) is so fraught with danger of dropping it, and so bloody hard to do, that I can only wonder if there's an alternative ...?

salmonmac 05-15-2013 05:59 PM

Words like diabolical and fiendish come to mind, I agree. You could do this increase which only requires purling through the back loop (tricky enough). Alternatively, if there are knit rows nearby, can you move the increase to a knit row?

justplaincharlotte 05-15-2013 06:04 PM

Salmonmac, what about a m1 instead of pfb?

GrumpyGramma 05-15-2013 06:08 PM

Thanks for the video, slamonmac. I've never done pfb and that's just fine as far as I'm concerned, I'm not sure I'm capable of the knitting gymnastics it requires. If I ever am called up on to do it, I'll bow out as gracefully as possible, try something else, and if I don't find a solution I care for, I'll come pleading for help here. It seems that you managed to do it, Marg1e. Congratulations! You're a better knitter than I. (I thought I heard *bleep* in an Aussie accent, that explains it!) :)

GrumpyGramma 05-15-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte (Post 1377349)
Salmonmac, what about a m1 instead of pfb?

I thought the video showed a M1 in purl? Depending on where it is and how much it shows, I'd even go for a kfb which I often try to avoid by using M1. Diabolical and fiendish....those are such mild terms. :mrgreen:

salmonmac 05-15-2013 06:35 PM

Thanks, jpc, that's a good idea.

salmonmac 05-15-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1377352)
Diabolical and fiendish....those are such mild terms. :mrgreen:

Just being conscientious. I'm trying to contribute to a G-rated website.

GrumpyGramma 05-15-2013 06:43 PM

salmonmac, do you use pfb or sub something else?

Marg1e 05-15-2013 07:36 PM

Having just returned from visiting my adorable GP, I find a wealth on input - as so often, and, as always, appreciated!
The M1 option: the pattern, in a different part, calls specifically for m1r and m1l; so the designer seems to have had a specific ... ahhh ... idea in mind with regard to directing the unfortunate knitter to these two differing methods of increasing.
I, being - as we all know - a virtual tyro in terms of so many things about today's knitting, feel myself impelled to follow the directions with unquestioning obedience. But when it came to the pfb, I gave up.
I did pbfs, instead!
:neutral:

Jan in CA 05-15-2013 08:13 PM

As long as you're happy with what it looks like go for it. There are no knitting police regardless off what you might have heard. :teehee:

GP? GrandPuppy?