KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   MORE help needed! Sighh ... (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113184)

Marg1e 05-17-2013 06:47 PM

MORE help needed! Sighh ...

"Shoulder shaping (using short rows)
Row 1 (WS): yif, sl2, purl to 5 sts from end, move last 5 sts to holder, turn work.
Row 2 (RS): yib, sl1, k10, *{pattern}; repeat *to 10 sts from end, k5, move last 5 sts to holder, turn work.
Row 3: yif, sl1, purl to last 5 sts, move 5 sts to holder, turn."
and so on, to row 26: in other words, I'm being instructed to put sts on holder virtually every row.
Whilst I can easily understand why this is so, what I can't grasp is whether this means I need 26 holders sprouting from my work, or if I'm swapping sts.
At times like this my brain simply shuts down: I can't begin to THINK!
:wall:

GrumpyGramma 05-17-2013 06:53 PM

Short rows: Blessing or curse?

You should be able to leave the unworked stitches on your circular needle - based on the assumption that after you work all the short rows you'll go back a pick up all those stitches. Typically with short rows, that's what's done. Are you familiar with short rows at all?

Marg1e 05-17-2013 06:55 PM

Nup.
Need you ask?
:-(
It would appear that I am actually familiar with plain, purl, casting off, casting off, knitting 2 together and that's about it.
I shall now look up "short rows", GG, for obviously that is another TERM with which I ought be familiar.
Thanks, as always!

Marg1e 05-17-2013 07:00 PM

I watched the short rows with wrap video (I do find it difficult to take in everything in these videos because of the way the person actually knits).
Does one always need to wrap?
If I'm shaping shoulders and going to and fro like that, I suppose I do.
Jesus.
This is going to take me forever.

GrumpyGramma 05-17-2013 07:04 PM

What luck! I'd just run down this video, SWEATER FINISHING 101-Part 3 for the Tank of Many Colors thread. She shows short rows on the sleeve but the principle is the same. I'm not having luck so far finding the shaping of an armhole video but you're smart, you know what works for the sleeve can work for the armhole. Be sure to ask about any hitches. I'm learning a lot about short rows for armholes and sleeves that I plan to use on my next sweater project.

Marg1e 05-17-2013 07:21 PM

YETH!
And she knits almost the same way as I do! :-)
Dunno how you found that one, GG: I found lots, but they all knit in that sort of crochet fashion, and I find it really off-putting when I'm trying to follow the knitter's directions.
I'm not even going to MENTION (well, that's a lie!) the casting off - sorry, the binding off - at this point: that can wait until I need it. Can't possibly take in more than one new thing at a time.
:-\
The Grumpy One RULES! :cheering:

GrumpyGramma 05-17-2013 07:36 PM

Uh, for underarms you might want to stick with CO and skip the BO. :roflhard:

I found that series of videos a long time ago. I've watched them all, will refer back to them sometimes. Hey! I knit Continental style, that weird sort of crochet fashion. Hmph. :-P Works for me. Whatever gets the stitches on the needle and then off at the appropriate time is the right way to knit. At first I found the English style videos a little hard to follow because I was distracted by the knitting style. Not so much anymore.

Marg1e 05-17-2013 11:11 PM

I find it more than slightly irritating, in this pattern, to be told to knit "short rows" while at the same time the directions have me putting 5 sts at each end of each row onto holders, such that I'm left with 64 sts, that will be joined onto the other side ...
I don't mean I'm doing that, she said hastily: I'm simply wrapping and turning, and have all sts on the (circ) needle.
I just wanted to whinge, that's all.
:nails:

GrumpyGramma 05-17-2013 11:21 PM

I just saw your question (remark?) about short rows W&T. I don't do W&T, I do German Short Rows. There are other ways. Jan posted a video link in another thread for sock heels that shows a different way. Can I find it again? ....... Yes, I saved it to my blog thread: A short row method to try. I find the W&T method shows more when finished.

Short rows worked English.

Marg1e 05-18-2013 01:58 AM

Your most recent post reminds me of an episode of M*A*S*H, in which Hawkeye and Trapper are trying to disarm a bomb.
Henry is at a safe distance from them, reading aloud from instructions regarding the best way to do this.
As they near the most dangerous part, Henry's voice can be heard saying (something like) "Once you can see a red wire and a yellow wire, cut the yellow wire".
Hawkeye, sweating greatly, cuts it.
Henry continues: "But first, make sure they are both twisted around the lever on the left "
The bomb goes off. Happily, it is filled with propaganda leaflets.
__________________________________________________ ___
Do you get my point?
;-)