KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Question about picking a size sweater to knit (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113228)

MikaG 05-23-2013 11:36 AM

Question about picking a size sweater to knit

Hi, I want to knit the Greenfield Cardigan on Ravelry but I don't know which size to pick. It will be my first adult sweater and I really want to be able to wear it. (I don't like things too tight) When I measure around my bust it comes to 40. If I don't want the sweater to be skin tight to I pick a bigger size or will the 40 have enough room to wear clothes under it comfortably? Thanks!

RochesterKnitter 05-23-2013 11:59 AM

Well, this will depend on...

1) How tight/loose of a knitter you are. (and also the pattern)
Tight knitting/patterns won't have as much give so you may want to make a slightly larger size.
Loose kniting/patterns will have more give/stretch.

2) How true/accurate your gauge is.
If your gauge is taking a wee more to make 4" then you'll probably need to make a larger size.
If you're making 4" with less than make the smaller size.

3) What material yarn you use.
Wool and cotton won't stretch much.
Acrylic can stretch a lot.

4) What size the rest of you is.
If you have a larger bust, but smaller waist/hips, you can always create some shaping by making the smaller size for the waist/hips and then adding sticthes to get to the larger size for the bust.

More:
Having looked at the pattern...
1) Garter stitch tends to have less give than say stockinette, so make the larger
4) Given that this cardigan is open on top and flares at the bottom, I would make the larger size on top and then consider adjusting down a bit on the bottom half (if your waist/hips are smaller).

MikaG 05-23-2013 12:15 PM

Thanks for your help.
1) I knit not too loose and not too tight actually. Definitely not too loose.
2) just ordered the yarn haven't gotten a swatch make yet to check the guage.
3) Knitpicks DK City (Tweed 55% Merino wool, 25% Superfine alpaca, 20% Donegal tweed
DK Weight)
4) Medium bust (neither small or large)
According to other knitters the pattern knits up on the larger side as it is all garter stitch.

MikaG 05-23-2013 12:32 PM

Thank you so much for your help. Definitely a pear shape so don't need to decrease on the bottom. I will just make the 44 which will give me more room! :woot:

GrumpyGramma 05-23-2013 12:36 PM

It's top-down, right? When you get to the part where you're concerned about fit, try it on. If it needs to be larger you should be able to just knit a few more increases. If it's too big, you can ravel a few rows and skip a few increases. Top downs are adaptable like that.

Ingrid 05-23-2013 04:29 PM

I always say to measure the size of a sweater that you like the fit of and go from there.