KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   FO Amelia Earhart Aviator Cap (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113302)

GrumpyGramma 05-29-2013 02:04 PM

FO Amelia Earhart Aviator Cap

2 Attachment(s)
With special thanks to my lovely daughter who allowed me to take her picture and post it here.

It took a while, but the hat is done, washed and dried, and I got pictures. I used Little Grins yarn, 60% cotton, 40% acrylic, machine wash and dry. The machine wash and dry was crucial. If the intended recipient loses her hair and wears it, she would cry if it got ruined in the wash. It took about 50 grams.

The pattern was horrible as written! If I do it again, I'll make some notes and work from them. It's not the the way that the hat goes together is bad, it's just that the pattern is so badly written.

Jan in CA 05-29-2013 02:38 PM

That is so cute! Your daughter looks great in it!

GrumpyGramma 05-29-2013 05:26 PM

The hat is much more of a real purple than shows in the picture. All in all I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and I do like the yarn. I'll use it again.

salmonmac 05-29-2013 06:35 PM

It turned out excellantly well and your daughter is a perfect model. Lovely all around. We've had questions about the pattern before so I know it's not so straightforward. Good for you for doing such a grand job with it.

GrumpyGramma 05-29-2013 06:49 PM

Not having a handy link earlier, I Googled for the rav page and found a link to an older thread about the pattern. Mostly it's a problem of how it's written IMO. I think it could be condensed from about (I think) 5 pages to 1 page or maybe 2...including a photo. If I do it again I'll start with a provisional cast on and end with Kitchener stitch or 3-needle BO. It isn't difficult! The pattern is just too confusing, I almost gave it up.

My daughter was over today for me to color her hair. She did one box yesterday and it wasn't enough. I did a second box today and it still wasn't enough. She's back to needing three boxes of hair color. She used to need four! Her hair thinned out but now it's grown back, finer than it used to be. Maybe three will be enough from now on. I think her current RA meds are easier on her than the last were.

nonny2t 05-30-2013 08:42 AM

Very cute and I love the purple!!! You did a great job

ArtLady1981 06-01-2013 06:02 PM

This is a very cute hat! And the model is adorable, too! Tell her THANKS!

auburnchick 06-06-2013 12:13 AM

I really like the shaping on that hat! The color is so pretty too...almost electrifying! Love it!

GrumpyGramma 06-06-2013 12:21 AM

So far the person I made it for still has her hair. I don't know who will end up with it. I expect I could donate it to be given to someone who needs it. I wish the purple showed better because it really is purple, not so blue. Now I want yarn that's the color in the photo!

aprilbetty 06-11-2013 05:45 AM

You could always give it to your daughter -- it's perfect on her!