KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   can babies wear booties at 6-12 months old? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113342)

ad2knit 06-04-2013 09:43 AM

can babies wear booties at 6-12 months old?

I have a unused ball of pink Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino and i thought id use it to make a pair of booties to go along with the socks I have made for baby....but most patterns i am looking at show booties for 0-3 or 3-6 months. Don't babies wear booties at 6-12?

Jan in CA 06-04-2013 11:14 AM

Babies over 6 mos can get pretty active since they are rolling over, crawling, kicking, and pulling on their feet and putting them in their mouth. It can sometimes be a futile effort trying to keep booties on. :teehee: I still tried though.

However, they can sometimes still wear booties at that age. Especially if they are going in the stroller or out somewhere like church or visiting.
If you can make a pattern for ones that stay on that would be great.

GrumpyGramma 06-04-2013 11:27 AM

I was trying to remember back that far. LOL I think the booties became toys, the babies had something to keep them occupied while they got them off and then played with them. We watched them figure out how to get them off. We used something called *I think* Humpty Dumpty booties which were really socks with a stretchy, fold down top and were cheap enough that when they got lost it wasn't so bad. Oh my, that was a long time ago.

ad2knit 06-04-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1378598)
Babies over 6 mos can get pretty active since they are rolling over, crawling, kicking, and pulling on their feet and putting them in their mouth. It can sometimes be a futile effort trying to keep booties on. :teehee: I still tried though.

However, they can sometimes still wear booties at that age. Especially if they are going in the stroller or out somewhere like church or visiting.
If you can make a pattern for ones that stay on that would be great.

I thought it would be a bit silly to make booties for 6-12 months old but i was trying to figure out what i can make with this one ball of baby cashmerino...i'm trying to get rid of some of my stash before i start a new project lol! Hmm..what can i knit with one ball of pink baby cashmerino yarn

Lighting57 06-04-2013 01:27 PM

A cap if it is enough. If not use another yarn to coordinate with it.

Antares 06-05-2013 11:25 AM

Yeah, a hat's a great idea! I also really enjoyed making this little cardi, which is sized from 12-18 months. It took very little yarn and was a quick, easy knit (raglan, yeah!). Okay, that's assuming this is for a girl since you said your yarn is pink.

You could also make some toys. There are some adorable, insanely simple one's on Rav. Like this one or this one.

jinxnit55 06-05-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ad2knit (Post 1378601)
I thought it would be a bit silly to make booties for 6-12 months old but i was trying to figure out what i can make with this one ball of baby cashmerino...i'm trying to get rid of some of my stash before i start a new project lol! Hmm..what can i knit with one ball of pink baby cashmerino yarn

I just made a striped hat using 2 colors of Debbie Bliss cashmerino. It is about 6 month size and I had enough left over to make another hat, by the looks of it. I have also seen several patterns that called for just 50 grams (one skein) of Debbie Bliss.