KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   MOG- mother of the groom - dress (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113346)

MoniDew 06-04-2013 04:22 PM

MOG- mother of the groom - dress

Shabby style, upcycled from elements gleaned from antique stores, thrift shops, second-hand stores, etc. The sleeve were taken from curtains, the body is a tablecloth, and various embellishments from doilies and runners. Also, the various elements were dyed in tea, coffee, and get this: black beans. I have plans to guild the lily even more-so, if you can imagine. So this is just a tease. I'll post a full length, back and front, once I'm done.

GrumpyGramma 06-04-2013 04:27 PM

So far, so fabulous! I look forward to updates.

Antares 06-04-2013 10:27 PM

That's very tasteful and well-thought-out upcycling there with some gorgeous results.

Just be sure it doesn't outshine the bride! :wink:

salmonmac 06-05-2013 04:33 AM

This is a teaser for sure. I love the various laces you've used and the colors look lovely together. Can't wait to see the full length view!

MoniDew 06-05-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antares (Post 1378632)
That's very tasteful and well-thought-out upcycling there with some gorgeous results.

Just be sure it doesn't outshine the bride! :wink:

not so sure about the "thought out" part... :teehee: I just sort of went for it, dove in. I had no idea what the result would be. It was an experiment, the whole way through. I am pleased with the results, however. Truth be told, I haven't even tried it on yet to see if it fits. That's how well I think things through... :roflhard:

And, aw! Thank you! I rather doubt I can outshine the bride. I know she will be beautiful... but I'll try to tone it down, just in case... LOL! :woot:

Antares 06-05-2013 11:06 AM

Well, if you can "throw together" a dress from odds and ends and have it turn out looking this spectacular, then I'd say you've definitely got lotza talent, Girl!!! Very VERY impressive.

I, too, can't wait to see the finished dress!

MoniDew 06-05-2013 07:31 PM

the front

close up on the collar embellishments - doily rosettes and ribbons

the back

It's done.... I think....

Antares 06-05-2013 09:34 PM

Wowzer! That is indeed a masterpiece! Love the pastel colors mixed with the lacy, frilly . . . stuff (I usually call it "crud," for lack of a better word, but that sounds mean when I'm not intending it to be at all).

So here's the million dollar question: Does it fit?

GrumpyGramma 06-05-2013 09:52 PM

Wow. I simply don't know what to say. So...WOW!

MoniDew 06-06-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antares (Post 1378718)
Wowzer! That is indeed a masterpiece! Love the pastel colors mixed with the lacy, frilly . . . stuff (I usually call it "crud," for lack of a better word, but that sounds mean when I'm not intending it to be at all).

So here's the million dollar question: Does it fit?

Ha! No!! No, it was about a million miles too big. I took it in about 5", and it's still too big, but at least now it's wearable. I may still try to take it in a bit more... we'll see. Lesson here is never, ever trust the pattern measurements! Measure the pieces for yourself. Or pin them on yourself. I wish I had a dressform. This never would have happened if I had. But... I still love the dress.