KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Any fave hats? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113457)

IslandTime 06-13-2013 11:39 AM

Any fave hats?

Since I've been back to knitting and joined KH, I've only knit doll clothes - and now I think it's time to knit something for myself:) I need a couple of hats for cool weather, and if I want them done by fall I'd better start now, haha. I know we're just beginning summer, but I don't knit in the evenings, so I don't get a lot of knitting time. And, ok, I knit at glacial speed.

There's a million patterns for hats "out there" and this is my first one, so I'm wondering if any of you have some favourites? I've seen posts where people have said patterns weren't hard but the instructions weren't clear or well written - I sure don't need that :(

I look pretty awful in hats, but think a small tam style would be nice for everyday (not the "dinner plate" or slouch ones - my hair is super-short and my features are small...I'm a small person...lol my gdaughters point out that the only ones smaller than me in our family are our cats, Shiloh and Nigel...), and a cloche style with the rolled brim for colder weather would be my best choices.

Thanks for any help - I'm nearly finished my current wip - another little outfit for my old doll - then I'd like to start the hats :)

claireweber 06-13-2013 01:54 PM

Ravelry has a lot of hats, I did a search for cloche and I found one I really like:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...irl-cloche-hat

I would think you could look around on that site and post your faves; I'm sure the folks here would be more than happy to give you feedback as to how simple or complex your picks may be to knit. And of course if you run into any snags with your project you know where you can turn to for help :)

GrumpyGramma 06-13-2013 05:26 PM

Cloche can cover a lot of different styles of hats. A search for rolled brim hat, adult, female yielded lots of choices to consider. Are you wanting to learn lots of new techniques or looking for something fairly simple?

IslandTime 06-13-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1379262)
Cloche can cover a lot of different styles of hats. A search for rolled brim hat, adult, female yielded lots of choices to consider. Are you wanting to learn lots of new techniques or looking for something fairly simple?

<G> now that's a trick question. I should say I want to learn - but probably the first thing I should learn is how to make a simple hat that actually fits my head. Then I can branch out and go crazy :woot:

IslandTime 06-13-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claireweber (Post 1379254)
Ravelry has a lot of hats, I did a search for cloche and I found one I really like:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...irl-cloche-hat

I would think you could look around on that site and post your faves; I'm sure the folks here would be more than happy to give you feedback as to how simple or complex your picks may be to knit. And of course if you run into any snags with your project you know where you can turn to for help :)

That's a great idea, Claire!

GrumpyGramma 06-13-2013 08:17 PM

Something like the Family Rolled Brim Hat patterns might be a good starter hat. If you don't like it for you, give it to someone else. You could get the practice of a basic hat and then go on to something more challenging, like the beautiful hat (I :heart: it) that Claire linked to. With a pattern like this one, if you wanted the smaller, teen size, you've got the pattern for it. I really like this Lucy Hat.

claireweber 06-13-2013 10:51 PM

Great hat GG! I must have knitted over a dozen of these my first few years of knitting. Because it is worked on circular and dpns, it is made using only the knit stitch, which makes it go pretty quickly.

claireweber 06-13-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claireweber (Post 1379294)
Great hat GG! I must have knitted over a dozen of these my first few years of knitting. Because it is worked on circular and dpns, it is made using only the knit stitch, which makes it go pretty quickly.

Oops! You mentioned two hats, I was referring to the Family Rolled Brim Hat. And it is a great family hat, many of my family members own one. ;)

GrumpyGramma 06-13-2013 11:09 PM

I think I'm going to make some of the Family Hats. Too much inexpensive machine wash and dry stash yarn to use up and I can donate them. I really do like the one you linked to, Claire, I may have to make it too.

IslandTime 06-14-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1379282)
Something like the Family Rolled Brim Hat patterns might be a good starter hat. If you don't like it for you, give it to someone else. You could get the practice of a basic hat and then go on to something more challenging, like the beautiful hat (I :heart: it) that Claire linked to. With a pattern like this one, if you wanted the smaller, teen size, you've got the pattern for it. I really like this Lucy Hat.

That rolled brim one is exactly what I want. I'd looked on ravelry last winter and seen about a million hats, but didn't see this one. I always use circs but I've only used them flat - so this looks like the right time to venture into knitting in the round.

It calls for 16 inch circs though, and all mine measure 19 inches for the cord alone, so a total of 29 inches. Are they too big?

I got this size (at Micheal's) because I like the length of the metal part better - on the 16 inch ones the needles are so darn small I thought they'd be kind of hard to hold - especially for doll clothes where there aren't many stitches, so you don't end up with much fabric in your hands either.