KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   I've moved on to a moebius ... thing (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113463)

Marg1e 06-14-2013 02:58 AM

I've moved on to a moebius ... thing

1 Attachment(s)
If I receive any indication if interest, I shall post some pic.s at various stages.
Let it be known that I have started this ... thing more than once. More than twice! In fact, I've commenced the bloody thing about six times, I reckon! - but at least now I know what I'm doing. I think. :figureditout:
Of course, it's a cowl: I suspect just about every moebius object knitted is a cowl of a sort - even if it's called a scarf.
I've ordered a ball of vari-coloured wool from my Aussie supplier - the ones who sell 100gm balls. With it I shall, when I've finished this trial version, make one someone might actually wear. I hope. :neutral:

Jan in CA 06-14-2013 07:44 AM

I would love to see its progress. :thumbsup: I haven't made one yet, but it seems once your past the cast on they are pretty simple from what I've read and seen.

Antares 06-14-2013 12:41 PM

I'd love to see a WIP picture, too.

I hope you're recovering well after your surgery . . . and able to get plenty of rest!

salmonmac 06-14-2013 03:52 PM

I haven't intentionally knit a moebius, yet. I'd love to see pictures in progress at any stage whatsoever.

GrumpyGramma 06-14-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

I haven't intentionally knit a moebius, yet.
:roflhard: Neither have I!!!!!! YET.

I saw the pattern picture on your blog, I look forward to seeing yours. I really want to know, is it as hard to twist the sts on purpose as it can be to not twist them?

Marg1e 06-17-2013 08:17 PM

DONE!

1 Attachment(s)
Be Warned! - I used only scrap wool. I'm waiting (as usual) on a delivery from Bendigo Woollen Mills, and decided to give it a burl ... And it did work.
Found out various important things, first amongst which is what is probably something that a person with a logical mind would've taken for granted: WHEN YOU'RE KNITTING A MOEBIUS, YOU CAN ONLY KNIT SO MUCH. Because it fills up the circular needle after a while, if you get my drift ...
:doh:
I'm looking forward to making one without changing colours, because sewing in the ends is all well and good, and I do it Very Carefully; but the fact is that with all the doubling over of the cowl/scarf to keep the neck warm, them ends is highly likely to start unravelling 'emselves. Keep you posted on that.
:waving:

GrumpyGramma 06-17-2013 08:23 PM

Ain't that purty! It couldn't have been made of leftovers, you must have planned to have those bits of yarn to use just so. :thumbsup:

You need longer cables for your needles.

Marg1e 06-17-2013 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1379341)
is it as hard to twist the sts on purpose as it can be to not twist them?

Erhmm ... talk about zen questions! <grin>
You don't twist anything, GG! - by far the hardest part is mastering the CO. You gotta watch the pattern-maker's video; and even that ain't poifick - which is why I started over so many times.
In making a moebius, there are certain basic points the knitter should have in mind (I didn't): things like the HOW of the knitting (see attachment) - meaning, what your knitting method will look like.
And don't take that photo as a real indication, btw! - that example is actually twisted twice rather than once: I only added it to show you more or less what knitting a moebius will look like.

Marg1e 06-17-2013 08:30 PM

I am suddenly unhappy

because I have only just realised that I appear to've managed to get a double twist into my cowl, ANYWAY.
Boy, is this going to cost me hours of anxious study, or what?!
:wall:

Antares 06-17-2013 08:50 PM

Double twist and all, that's pretty cool looking! Me thinks you did that on purpose to wow us all! :wink:

And it worked!