KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   WIP: EZ sweater aka the fractured fairy tale (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113572)

justplaincharlotte 06-25-2013 10:56 PM

WIP: EZ sweater aka the fractured fairy tale

1 Attachment(s)
Ever start a project, work at it awhile and say "Meh - I don't like this because <insert a reason>. I've got to fix this, it's a hot mess." Then chaos ensues...That's this sweater. :eyes:

In another thread, this sweater for DGD started out just fine with a 2x2 rib at the bottom.

After 2 inches of perfectly knit 2x2 rib and 4 inches of bubble gum colored sweater I sat back, admiring my handiwork and really looked at the sweater. Now this is either a really good habit to develop, or a really bad one, because...

"Meh - granddaughter is more girly than this, I've got to fix this. But how??"

Can I give this to my grandson? Picture my 7 year old Batman aficianado dressed up in a sweater that makes him look like a demented Care Bear? I think not. %@#! Can't repurpose all of that beautiful knitting. And no other little girls to finish it for either...

Hmmmm - I don't like the ribbing, it needs a seed stitch border. Yeah, that'll work!:woohoo:

So, I happily frog and rewind yarn to start anew. Then chaos ensued. The road to Hades is indeed paved in good intentions.

Cast on #1: I miscounted and cast on enough stitches to knit a sweater large enough to fit a Wookie. Who would look like a demented Care Bear in that sweater if finished. Of course, I notice this about 10 or so rounds in.

Cast on #2: I miscounted again and cast on too few stitches. DGD is entirely too young to wear a Jane Russell sweater. Again, I notice this after about 20 rounds or so in. I begin to wonder who is demented by this point.

Cast on 3: Yay!!! Right number cast on, then a few rounds into it... %$!&!!! Foiled again! The cast on got twisted. As much as I enjoy topology problems, this won't work AT ALL.

Cast on 4: With my sanity somewhat intact, we arrive at the WIP in the photo. Just another inch of the body, then I get to start on the sleeves!

Jan in CA 06-25-2013 11:36 PM

You're braver and more dedicated than I! I would have quit after the second attempt or tried a different pattern. Often though you can simply at some detail at the cuff and/or bottom or select girly or boy buttons to get the effect you want.

I do think it's very pretty though. So who is it going to be for now?

GrumpyGramma 06-26-2013 12:14 AM

IMO it looks great. If you think you need to girl it up more, maybe some ruffles on the sleeves? Maybe picot BO? Just a couple thoughts. I bet she likes it just fine. I agree it doesn't look like it's for a boy.

salmonmac 06-26-2013 04:29 AM

That sweater is a survivor and it deserves to be finished! It looks good in girly colors and a pretty combination at that. If you're still in doubt after it's finished maybe a cute pin (assuming your DGD is old enough)?
Thanks for the fractured fairy tale (where did they go?) which made my morning. I guess we've all had at least one of these.

Antares 06-26-2013 11:25 AM

Rotro! It's the dreaded two-steps-forward-three-steps-back project!

I like what you have so far. Hope it will straighten up and fly right now!

ArtLady1981 06-26-2013 02:04 PM

Been there, done that! I can't EVER seem to cast on the right number of stitches if it's anything past 30...so I use stitch markers now...every 10 stitches...and then I recount inbetween the markers BEFORE beginning to knit the first row.

Oy vey! I cast on 100+ stitches one time using stitch markers every 10th stitch...and knit away....and when it came time for some interesting pattern work...I discovered I had cast on either 1 too few, or 1 too many. Whatever it was, it ruined things. I frogged and started over. :eyes: Heavens.

justplaincharlotte 06-26-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1380048)
You're braver and more dedicated than I! I would have quit after the second attempt or tried a different pattern. Often though you can simply at some detail at the cuff and/or bottom or select girly or boy buttons to get the effect you want.

I do think it's very pretty though. So who is it going to be for now?

Naahh, Jan, I'm just the quintessential hard-headed southern gal, because my girl IS getting a sweater from her Gramma for winter. :knitting:

And grandson is getting one just like it, but with a 2x2 rib at waist, sleeve, and neck. Only in almost batman colors: dk gray/blue/orange.

At least the seed stitch hem at the waist,sleeves, & neck will give it a more feminine look than the 2x2 rib.:woot:

GrumpyGramma 06-26-2013 08:58 PM

Charlotte, I'm sure the grands will love the sweaters. Mine seem to think anything Gramma makes is beyond priceless. Ugh, that can be a pain, GS outgrew his Xmas PJs with cars on them years ago and is still hoping I can make them fit again. Don't be too hard on yourself, you are making them with love and they'll know and feel it. Do, please, enjoy your knitting.

justplaincharlotte 06-26-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1380050)
IMO it looks great. If you think you need to girl it up more, maybe some ruffles on the sleeves? Maybe picot BO? Just a couple thoughts. I bet she likes it just fine. I agree it doesn't look like it's for a boy.

Thanks GG! I wanted her to have something she could play comfortably in but still look like a girl, so I went with seed stitch borders at wrist, waist, and neck. The picot bind off may work at the neckline to priss her up a bit more. She's enough like me that if I put picots at the wrists, she'll get her fingers stuck in them!:roflhard:

justplaincharlotte 06-26-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 (Post 1380071)
Been there, done that! I can't EVER seem to cast on the right number of stitches if it's anything past 30...so I use stitch markers now...every 10 stitches...and then I recount inbetween the markers BEFORE beginning to knit the first row.

Oy vey! I cast on 100+ stitches one time using stitch markers every 10th stitch...and knit away....and when it came time for some interesting pattern work...I discovered I had cast on either 1 too few, or 1 too many. Whatever it was, it ruined things. I frogged and started over. :eyes: Heavens.

I sympathize ArtLady. :hug: