KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Confused by the pattern (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113623)

mk190 07-01-2013 03:35 PM

Confused by the pattern

I am trying to knit the following scarf but I am confused by the directions. It says cast on 25 stitches, row 1 and all ws rows are purl-which I am fine with but I can't figure out how I am supposed to work row 2: *K1,ssk (yo k1) 3 times, yo k2tog* repeat, end with k1. This should equal 25 stitches but I am obviously doing something wrong because I am getting everything but 25 stitches. To confuse things even further the designer has updated the pattern to make it better and that's throwing me off too. The pattern is Rabbit Tracks Lace, by spindyeknit.Any and all help would be appreciated.

GrumpyGramma 07-01-2013 04:14 PM

Slk -OOPS! that should be Ssk- and k2tog are decreases; yo is an increase that doesn't use an existing stitch. You have an increase (yo) for each decrease (ssk or k2tog) so your stitch count doesn't change. To do a yo wrap the yarn as if you were knitting a stitch w/o putting the needle into a stitch first. You can find a video for doing a yo in the increases section of Free Videos I believe.

salmonmac 07-01-2013 05:54 PM

I had to see what this pattern looked like.
http://spindyeknit.com/patternfiles/rabbit-tracks/
Very pretty. There are also videos on the Free Videos tab, Decreases for the ssk and k2tog if you need them.

mk190 07-01-2013 08:13 PM

Confused by the pattern

Thanks GrumpyGrandma for the quick response, I think I have it now.

Dclutterchique 07-02-2013 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mk190 (Post 1380424)
I am trying to knit the following scarf but I am confused by the directions. It says cast on 25 stitches, row 1 and all ws rows are purl-which I am fine with but I can't figure out how I am supposed to work row 2: *K1,ssk (yo k1) 3 times, yo k2tog* repeat, end with k1. This should equal 25 stitches but I am obviously doing something wrong because I am getting everything but 25 stitches. To confuse things even further the designer has updated the pattern to make it better and that's throwing me off too. The pattern is Rabbit Tracks Lace, by spindyeknit.Any and all help would be appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by salmonmac (Post 1380438)
I had to see what this pattern looked like.
http://spindyeknit.com/patternfiles/rabbit-tracks/
Very pretty. There are also videos on the Free Videos tab, Decreases for the ssk and k2tog if you need them.

You should have 31 stitches at the end of row 2 not 25. There are 4 increases and 2 decreases between each pattern repeat, which is done 3 time across the row.

Looking at the pattern Row 4 reads *K1, ssk, k5, k2tog*, repeat, end k1.

So there are no increases and 2 decreases in each pattern repeat. This gives a reduction of 6 sitches across the row bringing the sitich count back to 25.

ArtLady1981 07-02-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dclutterchique (Post 1380487)
You should have 31 stitches at the end of row 2 not 25. There are 4 increases and 2 decreases between each pattern repeat, which is done 3 time across the row.

Looking at the pattern Row 4 reads *K1, ssk, k5, k2tog*, repeat, end k1.

So there are no increases and 2 decreases in each pattern repeat. This gives a reduction of 6 stitches across the row bringing the stitch count back to 25.

Maybe this accounts for why the pattern stitch has a wavy appearance...the two (RS/WS) 31 stitch rows, followed by the two (RS/WS) 25 stitch rows.

Interesting.

I knit the Branching Out scarf a few years ago...and it also had rows where the stitch counts fluctuated...but the NICE THING is that the pattern tells you how many stitches you'll have at
the end of each row. Otherwise, we'd all go crazy trying to fathom the varying stitch counts!

ArtLady1981 07-02-2013 06:19 PM

Well this little pattern has bugged me so much...I had to noodle with the numbers.
(I'm going to knit this little scarf as gifts this Fall. Too many WIPS and irons in the fire right
now. Must stay focused on WIPS at hand! I've learned my lesson!)

When you cast on...here is where you will place your stitch markers...and mind you...this is NOT using the original 25 stitch cast on. Later, she recommends casting on 27...giving an extra K1 at each end of the row to fill it out more. She thinks it balances the end 'column' with the columns in the middle. I think the original looks just fine...but I do prefer an edge stitch at the very ends of my rows...so I'll cast on the 27 st.

K1 // 8 // 8 // 8 // 1 // K1 = 27st

The // marks are where you put a stitch marker.

After Row 1...the next row presenting itself will look like this:

K1 // 10 // 10 // 10 // 1 // K1 = 33 st

On Row 1, there were 4 yo's and 2 dec between each stitch marker...totaling 6 increases all together.

On Row 4, 2 decreases occur between each stitch marker...totaling 6 decreases all together.

If you are still going to cast on the 25...just ignore the K1 I've typed at each end. It all comes out right.

And thanks so much to DClutterchique for spotting this variant stitch counts for us! Yay!
I can't say I would have caught this from get-go. I'd be in for a little frog-fest. :pout:

Dclutterchique 07-03-2013 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 (Post 1380493)
Maybe this accounts for why the pattern stitch has a wavy appearance...the two (RS/WS) 31 stitch rows, followed by the two (RS/WS) 25 stitch rows.

Interesting.

I knit the Branching Out scarf a few years ago...and it also had rows where the stitch counts fluctuated...but the NICE THING is that the pattern tells you how many stitches you'll have at
the end of each row. Otherwise, we'd all go crazy trying to fathom the varying stitch counts!

Yes, I agree it is nice to know how many sitiches there will be on the rows where the sitich count changes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 (Post 1380494)
And thanks so much for spotting this variant stitch counts for us! Yay!
I can't say I would have caught this from get-go. I'd be in for a little frog-fest. :pout:

I only saw it because one of the first things I do when I see a question about a pattern (row) with increases and decreases in it is do a quick tally up to make sure they balace out. As Row 2 was seriously out, I thought "typo" and decided to look at the orginal pattern (thanks Salmonmac for the link) to see if mk190 had mis-typed it, or if there was an error in the orginal pattern. Turns out it was neither. Once I saw that Row 4 was completely differnt to Row 2 and had no increases I recalulated to see if the sitich count came out right in the end. I have heard of patterns where the sitich count changes from row to row, but stays the same over the whole pattern, and they do tend to be lace ones.

mk190, I hope you can now carry on knitting you scarf, with thanks to the team, and know you weren't going mad (being driven mad but not going mad)!

Dclutterchique 07-03-2013 08:54 AM

Just to let you all know that I've emailed the pattern writer, bringing this thread to her attention, and asked her if she thinks it worthwhile admending the pattern to add in the changes to the sitich count.

spindyeknit 07-03-2013 12:47 PM

Rabbit Tracks scarf

All the increases are on the first pattern row but only half the decreases; the other half of the decreases are on the second right-side row, bringing it back to the original stitch count. If you end the piece after the second pattern row, I haven't had the end selvedge come out very wavy compared to many feather-and-fan variants--some, though, but it depends in part on the yarn and the gauge.

I do think as a stand-alone pattern for a scarf it looks better with an extra stitch at each side, but at the time I posted the pattern I was working with a very small amount of pure angora and trying to stretch it as far as I could go.

Glad you all enjoy my Rabbit Tracks, and thank you! And thank you for the heads-up that people had questions about it.