KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   WIP - leftover yarn - hair accessories (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113699)

KnitBeg 07-10-2013 08:43 AM

WIP - leftover yarn - hair accessories

I've got a box filled with left over yarn which starts to fall aparts. So instead of finding myself a new box, I figured I should just get rid of the yarn :cool: But I can not just throw it away and I don't do yarn bombing, so my next problem was: what to make with it?

Well, for one - a girl with long(er) hair can never have enough hair ties. So I figured I should make another. I searched the internet for some ideas and I thought it might be nice to create a scrunchie - I never knew that is what those ties are called ;).

As I hate knitting in the round, I opted to knit a rectangular piece and just sew it together. I used all my blueish colours.
However, when I was halfway I realised I didn't have enough :think: So I had to ask around a bit to get enough left over yarn from friends and family to finish the piece.
Luckely they just lend it to me and I could give back the rest - otherwise the whole project would have been for nought. Well, eccept for the hair tie I got out of it of course :cool:

Finished project (with yellow example)

Sewn together

and the sides (lengthwise) too

I decided the size by the size of the example, as that one fits in my hair perfectly. It all depends on the size of the elastic inside - stretched out fully it should still be completely coverd by the knitted fabric without putting too much tension on the yarn.

In use:

and from the back

IF anybody has some other ideas about what to do with the left over yarn, I'm all ears. I've got plenty

The ball wool in the left upper corner will be used for this shawl, but the others are up for grabs :)

NEXT POST: a little hair bow

GrumpyGramma 07-10-2013 09:23 AM

That's a great idea. I like the scrunchie a lot.

nonny2t 07-10-2013 09:30 AM

Wow, that's great! Of course with hair as short as mine and being very very fine, nothing can be worn it in. These are great looking though.

claireweber 07-11-2013 01:50 PM

That is great! Scrunchies are an excellent way to use up leftover yarn.

You can link to this site to find out how to make a "magic ball"

http://whipup.net/2013/03/15/how-to-...-a-magic-ball/

Other hair accessories you could make from the yarn are knitted or crocheted flowers hot glued to a hair comb.

KnitBeg 07-11-2013 02:05 PM

Thanks

@ClaireWeber: That magic ball is a great idea. Thank you for pointing it out.
I've already used quite a bit of the leftover yarn for flowers (a.o. sewn on T-shirts and a key 'rings'). I could indeed make some for in my hair too. :yay:

salmonmac 07-12-2013 05:30 AM

Love the scrunchie and the idea of the flowers. Well done!

dturner 07-13-2013 12:10 PM

That's great! I'm always looking for ideas to use up odds and ends in my stash, and a scrunchie would be perfect. I had my hair cut short a couple of years ago, so I no longer use them, but I could make some for gifts. I looked at the link that you provided for the scrunchie. I was intrigued by the crochet beaded scrunchie in the pictured example. I have been learning to crochet, and it looks like that might be an easy pattern for a beginner. I'll have to go on Ravelry and see if I can find it.

KnitBeg 07-14-2013 01:07 PM

Next was a bow. Not a big one, for I have seen some of those on my mother's old pictures and I really think they're for little girls - nothing I would actually wear. Preferably, a pattern that would use one of my existing hair ties for I really have a lot...

I tried my hand on a little, little bow. The manual was in German so that was a bit different, but luckely there are good dictionaries on knitting terms online :cheering: And it is quite easy, that also helped ;)

Basically, this is what I did:

So I knitted the two parts in stockinette and then sew them on the hair tie.

But I did sew them together a bit at first, to make sure the bow-shape is maintained. This isn't really necessary

From the back:

I'd like to show you a picture from the front, but I don't have one - I couldn't manage to make one while wearing it. All pictures I took myself just turned out blurry. So you'll have to take my word that it looks exactly like the one in the manual, only in this pink colour :knitting:.

Next: another scrunchie. and yes, the crocheted ones are nice, but I'm more at ease with a knitting needle than a chrochet hook ;)

offgridgirl 07-14-2013 10:26 PM

Fun and a great use of left overs....

I use some for finger puppets for kids and some for my horses mane and tail braiding.....:)

KnitBeg 07-21-2013 11:27 AM

Another scrunchie, this time in a fluorescent red. I used this project both to get rid of some left over yarn AND to learn/try a new stitch. In Dutch it is called the river-stitch:

I found the description in an old handwork book (on knitting, embroidery, sewing and crocheting) my mother had lying around. Basically, you knit all the rows, but on the uneven rows you wrap your yarn two more times around the needle before you actually knit the stitch!

It is fairly easy, but it is hard to do it evenly. That's why I'm glad it became a scrunchy as now it doesn't matter that the stitches aren't all the same in length ;)

I especially had troubles with the sides. I also did the cast on way too tight, so I decided to bind off tight too as those edges would be joined together. But in the end I decided to sew them together as if there was a row of very wide stitches again.

It may not be noticable, but I had 5 stitches left of the BO edge when I was done with all the stitches of the CO edge :eyes: . I don't know what I did - but I was too lazy to correct it as it doesn't really matter for the end result...

I put the elastic in and sew the long edges together loosely.

Finished

Wearing it