KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   YRN and YON (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113723)

DavidSydney63 07-14-2013 09:27 AM

YRN and YON

Ok so I'm knitting a 'motif' to try a pattern out:

cast on 3 sts

1st row -yrn, P1, yon, K1, yrn, P1 ... 6 sts
2nd row- yrn, K1, P3, K2 ... 7 sts
3rd row- yrn, P2, K1, yfwd, K1, yfwd, K1, P2, ... 10 sts
4th row- yrn, K2, P5, K3 ... 11 sts

et cetera

I'm struggling with a couple of things: 1) how do I execute a yrn at the beginning of a row 2) what's the difference between yon and yrn?

DavidSydney63 07-14-2013 09:44 AM

just fiddling about with this; it would appear that the difference between yon and yrn is reliant on the immediately following sts, K or P. thus ensuring you creat ONE new stitch and not a mess. so wrapping the yarn clockwise or counter clockwise is thevtrick - am I getting this???

Jan in CA 07-14-2013 10:18 AM

They're all just other names for YO basically. If it says YF, YON, YRN.... And the next stitch is knit it's a YO. Wrap the yarn as you normally do. The yarn is always brought forward for a a standard purl so they shouldn't have to say anything.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-glossary

GrumpyGramma 07-14-2013 11:10 AM

Yarn over video overkill

Yarn Over at Beginning of Row

Yarn Over 101

Yes, standardized terminology would be nice. :teehee: (Maybe you weren't going to say that?)

Dclutterchique 07-14-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSydney63 (Post 1381210)

cast on 3 sts

et cetera

I'm struggling with a couple of things: 1) how do I execute a yrn at the beginning of a row 2) what's the difference between yon and yrn?

1) Regarding a yrn at the beginning of a row I would try doing just a yo as shown in the first link provided by GrumpyGramma. If that doesn't work and you have to do a yrn I would do the following.

For yrn followed by P1: lay yarn over the top of the right needle, going away from you, and then bring the yarn back under the needle towards you, but infront of itself.

For yrn followed by K1: place right needle on top of the yarn (with the yarn going away from you) bring the yarn over the top of the needle towards you and the take it back under the needle going away from you but in front of itself.

In both cases you may need to do a bit of 'jiggery-pokery' to hold the needles, but the yrn should then be 'self-anchored' with the yarn in the correct postion to do the required K or P stitch.

2) The short answer is that a yon only goes half way round the needle but a yrn goes all the way round.

I don't know the technial reason (something to do with purls needing a little bit more yarn than knits, I think), but if one trys to do a yon from a knit to a purl there isn't enough yarn and it pulls tight making it difficult to work the resulting 'stitch' on the next row.

I presume this is British pattern you're working from. American patterns will just tell you to do a yo and let you decide how to get there, but British patterns will tell you how to get there.

justplaincharlotte 07-14-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSydney63 (Post 1381210)

cast on 3 sts

et cetera

For a YO at the beginning of the row, I put the yarn in the position opposite where it should be for the first stitch before working it. If the first st is a k, I move the yarn to the front, then k. If it's a p, I move the yarn to the back, then p the first stitch. Seems to work okay for me.

But I knit Portuguese, and it may work differently on other styles of knitting. YMMV.

DavidSydney63 07-15-2013 12:08 AM

hey girls - well I figured it out by trial and error, and, initially a bit of teeth grinding.

The motive is just gorgous, ends up as a square with a leaf pattern. Will make an excellent throw or lap rug.

If anyone's interested I'll put the pattern up.

GrumpyGramma 07-15-2013 12:16 AM

IF anyone's interested? IF?????? :teehee: Yeah, please do post it or a link or something. Thanks!

DavidSydney63 07-15-2013 01:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
OK - so here's the pattern for the Leaf Motif crib blanket (or whatever you'd like to do with it).

DavidSydney63 07-15-2013 01:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and here's a picture of the throw