KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Need help binding off shoulders on back piece (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113727)

Zara31 07-14-2013 04:19 PM

Need help binding off shoulders on back piece

Dear Ladies and Gents,

I am knitting a pullover for my little son and got stuck on binding off shoulders, this is my first pullover. :knitting:

So far I have done all of the back piece and currently have 76 sts on my needle (piece is measuring 39cms from the beginning). Pattern has following description for binding off shoulders:

Shape shoulders: Bind off from LHS for right shoulder 7 sts x 2 times, 8 sts x 1 times, when piece measures 40 cm from beg shape left shoulder at RHS as before, AT THE SAME TIME, bind off center 12 sts for neck and working both sides at once, bind off from each neck edge 10 sts once.

I am very confused as to how many more rows I need to complete and what needs to be done in each row.

My thoughts are that I need to do:
- 4 rows where I need to bind off 7 sts at the start,
- 2 rows binding off 8 sts at the beginning.
- Then in the next row bind off 12 sts in the middle
- then bind off 10 sts on each shoulder

Somehow it doesn't seem right as it would add another 8 rows that would not fit into 1 cm allowed.

Thank you in advance.:muah:

salmonmac 07-14-2013 07:38 PM

The At The Same Time directions apply while you are shaping the right shoulder. So bind off the first set of 7sts and on the same row bind off the center 12sts. Continue with the left shoulder without shaping and using a second ball of yarn. On the return row, bind off the 10 sts at the neck edge on the right side. Keep knitting the two shoulders with two separate balls of yarn and shaping the neck edge and the shoulder edge at the same time. When you get to 40cm the left shoulder shaping will start (probably while you're still doing the right shoulder and neck shaping.) I usually make a little drawing so that I can keep all of these bind offs in the correct place and then check them off as I do them.

Zara31 07-14-2013 09:13 PM

Oh its starting to make a bit more sense to me now.

With the 10 sts that need to be binded off at the neck do I do them all on the same row and not split them up into 1 sts per row?

Also why do we start shaping left shoulder only at 40cm and right shoulder at 39cm? Wouldn't it make them uneven?

GrumpyGramma 07-14-2013 11:56 PM

Depending on your row gauge a cm could be one row. I think in inches so I'm not exactly sure what a cm is and my ruler seems to have wandered off.

Zara31 07-15-2013 03:20 AM

Thank you ladies, it worked and looks great.:woohoo:

salmonmac 07-15-2013 04:52 AM

So glad you worked it out. I assumed this sweater has one shoulder open with a small buttonband to make it easier to get over a child's head. And yes, the 10sts are bound off at one time.
Love to see a photo if you'd like to post one.

DavidSydney63 07-15-2013 07:29 AM

there are 2.5 cms to every inch (give or take a flea's poo).

GrumpyGramma 07-15-2013 10:53 AM

Thanks, David. Was I ever off. 2.5 rows per in? I think not.

Zara31 07-18-2013 11:49 PM

I will definitely post a picture of it when I am done.

It doesn't have one shoulder open, it has a deepish neckline at the front so it should get over the head ok ... fingers crossed.