KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   closing a sock toe (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113728)

jinxnit55 07-14-2013 04:52 PM

closing a sock toe

Ha! I won the battle with DPNs, enough so that I have produced something that resembles a sock. The pattern was great until I got to the toe; wound up with way too many stitches so sort of winged it, and then the pattern says to do a kitchener bind off. Same as kitchener stitch? The pattern is Easy Peasy socks by Stacey Trock on Ravelry.

Jan in CA 07-14-2013 05:04 PM

Yep, just use Kitchener stitch. It is sort of binding off since you're done after that.

Glad you got it all figured out! :thumbsup:

jinxnit55 07-14-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1381241)
Yep, just use Kitchener stitch. It is sort of binding off since you're done after that.

Glad you got it all figured out! :thumbsup:

Yup, I'm no longer a "sock virgin;" figure I'm a 'real' knitter now!

GrumpyGramma 07-14-2013 06:27 PM

I wanna see your socks! Please. Somehow finished socks give a greater since of accomplishment than some other things.

:balloons: Congrats! :balloons:

jinxnit55 07-14-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1381248)
I wanna see your socks! Please. Somehow finished socks give a greater since of accomplishment than some other things.

:balloons: Congrats! :balloons:

Just cast on for the second one and should be done by tomorrow (with luck, anyway, I seem to suffer from the Unfinished Second Object syndrome). This second sock will go much faster and hopefully will not have an odd row of stitches running down the front!

GrumpyGramma 07-14-2013 06:59 PM

That's not an odd row of stitches, it's a unique design element! :muah: Your toes won't care anyhow. :)

Woofens 07-14-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1381253)
That's not an odd row of stitches, it's a unique design element! :muah: Your toes won't care anyhow. :)

Lol. I have those hourly it seems!!

salmonmac 07-14-2013 08:01 PM

Good for you Jinx and congrats on starting that second sock right away!

cawhouston 07-14-2013 09:41 PM

It's for the above reasons I do toe up, two socks at a time. I spent a lot of time on the internet searching for techniques for the cast on, and for the heel, but it was worth the research.

You don't need to stitch the toes, you can try the socks on while knitting to check the size, continue with the cuffs until they are the right length or you run out of yarn, and finally doing two at a time avoids both the second object syndrome and problems with keeping track of what you did to the first in order to replicate on the second.

GrumpyGramma 07-14-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cawhouston (Post 1381273)
It's for the above reasons I do toe up, two socks at a time. I spent a lot of time on the internet searching for techniques for the cast on, and for the heel, but it was worth the research.

You don't need to stitch the toes, you can try the socks on while knitting to check the size, continue with the cuffs until they are the right length or you run out of yarn, and finally doing two at a time avoids both the second object syndrome and problems with keeping track of what you did to the first in order to replicate on the second.

:thumbsup:

Yup. My first pair were one at a time, ever after two at a time. I don't like one sock shorter than the other or guesstimating my remaining yardage wrong and having to shorten the first sock. I like done is done. I had a time running down what I needed to know too but I am so glad I did. I actually learned a heck of a lot in the process. I expect the other sock fiends here would have gladly given me links but I did it the hard way.