KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Help decyphering pattern instructions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113787)

Zara31 07-18-2013 11:46 PM

Help decyphering pattern instructions
 
"Inc 1 st each side every 6th row x 2times"

Does that mean to add 1 st at the beginning and 1 st at the end of 6th row and then 12th row? Just a little bit confused by terminology "each side".

Zara31 07-19-2013 12:07 AM

And another question in regards to increasing sts. If I have a fancy pattern that I am working on (its pretty rhombuses), how do I work those extra sts into it? If I just knit them in between first and second stitches wouldn't that break the pattern design?:??

salmonmac 07-19-2013 04:45 AM

Yes that's the way to do the increases so that each increase row adds 2sts on row 6 and 2 on row 12. Keep the increased sts as edge sts in stockinette or whatever simple pattern will work (reverse stockinette?). Don't let them break up the main body of the pattern that you have going and don't let them shift the pattern over either. Sometimes the directions say to "work the increases into the pattern" but 2sts on each side by the end of row 12 may not be worth doing that. Possibly too, these sts will be on a seam line.

Dclutterchique 07-19-2013 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zara31 (Post 1381627)
"Inc 1 st each side every 6th row x 2times"

Does that mean to add 1 st at the beginning and 1 st at the end of 6th row and then 12th row? Just a little bit confused by terminology "each side".

Yes, that's correct. "Each side" (in this context) is the same as saying "each end" or "both ends" (of a row).

Well done on spotting that you do the increases at both end of the row, it's easy to miss that and only do increases at one end of a row.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zara31 (Post 1381629)
And another question in regards to increasing sts. If I have a fancy pattern that I am working on (its pretty rhombuses), how do I work those extra sts into it? If I just knit them in between first and second stitches wouldn't that break the pattern design?:??

If the increases on row 6 and 12 are the only ones you can probably just knit them as they'll be hidden in any seams. If there are more increases, or hidding isn't an option, you may have to 'read' your knitting on that row and mentally work back from the established stitches to know how to work the increased stitches. Once you're on the next row they'll then become established as part of the patten.

Is Pretty Rhombuses the name of the pattern or your description of it?

Zara31 07-19-2013 06:48 AM

Its my description of the pattern, because they are rhombuses and I think they are pretty :)

There are more increases after that at every 4th row x 16 times, so I have to do some creative working it into the pattern.

Thank you ladies you are an amazing source of information for a me :)

DavidSydney63 07-19-2013 07:40 AM

Fool of a pattern should have simply said:

Increase at the beginning and end of the 6th and 12th row ...

Dclutterchique 07-19-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSydney63 (Post 1381655)
Fool of a pattern should have simply said:

Increase at the beginning and end of the 6th and 12th row ...

'Increase at the beginnning and end of' I would agree with but using the formula every Nth row X times is better than numbering every increase/decrease row.

For example Zara31 says

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zara31 (Post 1381648)
There are more increases after that at every 4th row x 16 times, so I have to do some creative working it into the pattern.

If this was written as Increase at the beginning and end of the 4th, 8th, 12th ... 56th, 60th and 64th rows it would make for a very cluttered and long winded pattern.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:22 AM.


copyright knittinghelp.com