KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   A favourite recipe of mine ... (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113992)

DavidSydney63 08-01-2013 03:48 AM

A favourite recipe of mine ...

David's Tangelo Cake (substitute oranges if you don't have tangelos)

2 tangelos (smallish around 400g-14 ounces)
125g (4.4 ounces) butter, melted
1 cup milk
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups S.R. flour
1 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup almond meal
tangel zest to decorate
Icing
1 1/2 cups pure icing sugar, sifted
10 g (teaspoon) butter
2 tablespoons tangelo juice

1 Preheat oven to 180 (350). Melt butter. Grease a spring form cake tin.

2 Place tangelos in a saucepan, cover with cold water, bring to the boil. Drain. Add cold water and bring to the boil again. Set the cooked fruit aside until cool enough to handle.

3 Roughly chop tangelos, discard seeds if any. Process until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in butter, milk, eggs, flour, sugar and almond meal, with wooden spoon stir until combined. If your batter is too moist at more S.R. flour. Pour into prepared tin

4 Bake for 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted in cake comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack and cover. Cool.

5 Make icing, place icing sugar, butter and tangelo juice into a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir for 5 minutes until smooth. Set aside for 5 minutes. Pour over cake. Top with zest. Stand for 15 minutes. Make a complete pig of yourself, this is not to be shared, far too delicious

DavidSydney63 08-01-2013 03:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a photo of the Tangelo Cake ... with one of the tangelos pictured, about the size of an orange, rather sharp in flavour, a bit sour like a lemon but with the sweetness of an orange. I guess you have them in America/Canada but perhaps call them something else?

DavidSydney63 08-01-2013 04:00 AM

And here's a snippet about this wonderful fruit:

The tangelo, Citrus tangelo, is a citrus fruit hybrid of tangerine and pomelo or grapefruit. Sometimes referred to as honeybells, tangelos are the size of an adult fist, have a tangerine taste, and are juicy at the expense of flesh

salmonmac 08-01-2013 06:53 AM

Thanks very much for the recipe. Sounds and looks delicious.

butlersabroad 08-01-2013 09:44 AM

Looks great, I love home baking. I made a whole orange cake before (added choc chips too!), from an Australian recipe and found that the cup measure differs between Australia and the US, I believe the AUS cup is smaller?

GrumpyGramma 08-01-2013 10:18 AM

That looks good enough to eat! I bet it's delicious. Thanks for sharing. I've had tangelos before but haven't seen them in a long time.

Dclutterchique 08-01-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butlersabroad (Post 1382550)
Looks great, I love home baking. I made a whole orange cake before (added choc chips too!), from an Australian recipe and found that the cup measure differs between Australia and the US, I believe the AUS cup is smaller?

David, would it be possible to give the volume of a 'cup' as butlersabroad is correct there is a difference between the two countries. If you give the volume in Fluid Ounces could you also give the equivalent in ml as (just to confuse things further) I think a US Fl Oz is larger than a UK Fl Oz, but a US pint is definitely smaller than a UK pint.

It will also help us awkward sods in the UK who use weight not volume:thumbsup:

I also assume that almond meal will be ground(up) almonds in the UK.

butlersabroad 08-01-2013 11:13 AM

Yes, almond meal is ground almonds in the UK.

I know a US cup of something heavy like sugar or flour is 8oz in UK measurements, however, it all falls apart for me on stuff like breadcrumbs, which is light, or cereal, which doesn't pack down! And as for measuring liquids in cups instead of floz of milliletres, don't get me started! I have two British scales as well as American cups so I'm covered, but I found out the hard way once that the AUS system differs yet again!

Poor David, he's going to wish he never started this!

Jan in CA 08-01-2013 11:46 AM

Looks good! Wish i could eat it, but I don't eat wheat.

If you can weigh in grams it should transfer to other countries easily. Just measure what you'd use in Aus. and then weigh it for us. Also what is S.R. Flour and Caster Sugar?

butlersabroad 08-01-2013 11:55 AM

Self raising flour, opposite to all purpose, probably cake flour as it has the rising agents in it I think. Caster sugar is fine sugar.