KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   wrong side/ right side mix up (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114084)

gtrickett 08-07-2013 10:49 PM

wrong side/ right side mix up

Hello all. I appreciate the help you all gave me before, but I've run into a snag on my project. The project is an afghan. The patter includes increases and decreases with a row of dropped yarn overs to create a elongated stitch. I'm using circ needles for the first time to accommodate the massive amount of stitches I'm working with. It's pretty, I've worked through one and a half skeins but all of a sudden notice that I have somehow switched rs and ws. I have no idea how this happened, but on one repetition of the pattern, the "pretty" side was on what had been up to that point the wrong side. Luckily I was using a security thread so I easily ripped the mistake and reinserted my circ needle. Damage is minimal (only one row is left mistaken) but now I'm nervous about moving forward. Can anyone tell me how I made this mistake and how I can avoid it? I thought it might have something to do with the round of the work being away from me or toward me (if that makes sense). I tried to include pics but couldn't upload them. I think the file was too big. I'll try again later. I appreciate any help y'all can give in advance.

Ingrid 08-07-2013 10:58 PM

If you're working flat on the circular needles, the mistake probably happened when you either skipped a row or worked a row twice. The extra row throws all the rest off.

When you know you are working correctly, take a good look at your work to help you recognize the rs and ws so you can catch mistakes before you get too far on the row.

So many patterns use knit for the rs and purl for the ws. This can be your clue.

Do you have a link to the pattern?

GrumpyGramma 08-07-2013 10:59 PM

I can think of two possibilities. You laid your work down in the middle of a row and when you picked it up you started on the wrong side, going the wrong way. If you are adding new yarn at the end of a row, you might have accidentally turned your work and started the new yarn on the wrong side. It's discouraging for this to happen but aren't you glad you used a lifeline? It makes things so much less awful.

If you need a place to resize your photo, this is the site I use. http://www.picresize.com/results

gtrickett 08-07-2013 11:13 PM

This makes sense. I know that I missed a row in the reptition right before the lifeline. I didn't catch it until it was too late. i didn't think it would matter, but I see now that was foolish. I can't rip back any farther without losing the project (and a few hours of work). It's 178 stitches and I'm simply not talented enough to reinsert a needle through that much without a lifeline. Is there any way to fix this? Should I work the missed row (though out of place) or work two knit rows to get back on track? The pattern is in a book, so no link, but it's a short rep. it is as follows:
Row 1 (RS): K5, [K2 tog] 4x, *[K in front and back of next st] 8x, [K2 tog] 8x, rep from * 5x, [K in f and b of next st] 8x, [K2 tog] 4x, K5
Row 2: Knit
Row 3: K5, P to last 5 sts, K5
Row 4: Knit (this is the one I missed)
(Short Row) K5, turn, K5
Row 5: K5, *yo, K1, rep from * to last 5 sts, K5
(Short Row as before)
Row 6: K5, *P1, drop yo, rep from * to last 5 sts, K5
(This is from a Red Heart "Great Afgans and Throws" pattern pamphlet.)

Any advice?

gtrickett 08-07-2013 11:21 PM

I'm thinking that since my mistake is before the lifeline, which is in Row 1 of the pattern, I should add a knit row after Row 2 and then follow with the Purl Row, this should get me back on track right? It will look a little funky in those few rows, but it shouldn't be too noticeable, right?

gtrickett 08-07-2013 11:34 PM

Picture maybe?

1 Attachment(s)
Also, thanks for the resizing site info, GG. It worked great! Hopefully I attached it correctly. If so, this is the project.
-Greg

GrumpyGramma 08-07-2013 11:57 PM

You might want to watch this video Inserting a needle before unraveling before you decide what to do.

You're welcome for the pic resize link. Your afghan will be lovely.

gtrickett 08-08-2013 12:15 AM

Thanks,
That looks relatively easy, I may try it first. I'm not terribly confident that I can read the work well enough to know what row I need to thread into. But I'll try it with my lifeline in place. I can always put the needle back and go to my original plan.
I'll let you know how it works out.
-G

salmonmac 08-08-2013 05:40 AM

If you're just a row away from the missing row, you could try tinking back that single row. It's a bit tedious for so many sts but do-able. That said, I think your suggestion to add an extra row in now will work too. The dark yarn will work in your favor because it'll hide these kind of mistakes. (Of course, reinseting the needle into a knit row is ideal, as GG suggests.)
Your afghan so far looks lovely, btw. Beautiful work.

catlvr 08-08-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salmonmac (Post 1383209)
If you're just a row away from the missing row, you could try tinking back that single row. It's a bit tedious for so many sts but do-able. That said, I think your suggestion to add an extra row in now will work too. The dark yarn will work in your favor because it'll hide these kind of mistakes. (Of course, reinseting the needle into a knit row is ideal, as GG suggests.)
Your afghan so far looks lovely, btw. Beautiful work.

Since I'm a newbie knitter, I find that light colored yarn is best; of course, that's just for my OLD tired eyes. Your afghan looks beautiful, I can't tell there even is a mistake!!