KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Dishcloth Poll (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114154)

sakura-panda 08-15-2013 10:54 AM

Dishcloth Poll

No voting box; this is both informal and open ended. What size do you make your dishclothes?

I'm trying to make placemats for my table, bypassing the swatch step, and have already frogged my work twice. :blush: This third attempt was supposed to be a swatch, but I ended up casting on beyond the swatch width and I'm thinking I might have gone too far.

There was a post in the forums this morning that reminded me that dishcloths are a good way to practice patterns, and I realized that if I called my swatch a dishcloth, I might be able to persuade myself to do it. :teehee:

I'm going to frog my work again and make a swatch -- I mean dishcloth -- in my placemat pattern. I had planned to make my swatch 8"x8", but as I don't use cotton dishcloths myself (I use fluffy microfiber clothes and small cotton & netting knitted "scrubbies"), I wondered if that would be too big for one. Or too small.

Since it's really a matter of personal preference, I thought it would be fun to ask and see what everyone else does. Maybe I'll get a compelling reason to make it some other size. :thumbsup:

I'm not setting up an actual voting poll because I am assuming that the sizes will vary a lot.

claireweber 08-15-2013 12:22 PM

Well, I've given away all the dishcloths I've knitted, so I don't have a size for you. I do, however, have a suggestion. Since you don't use dishcloths, how about knitting a washcloth? Great for decorative purposes, perhaps useful for you or maybe coupled with a nice bar of soap, a hostess gift.

Jan in CA 08-15-2013 12:45 PM

For kitchen use I prefer about 5-6" dishcloths.

vaknitter 08-15-2013 09:16 PM

All I use in the kitchen are knit cotton cloths! I love them. I make mine roughly 8" x 8". They hold up great and go through the washer like nobody's business. When they do get holes they move to the rag pile for cleaning up around the house.

sakura-panda 08-16-2013 10:48 AM

The couple of times that I made dishcloths to try out, I only made them about 4 or 5 inches square -- I wonder now if they didn't work for me because they were so small?

I frogged my third placemat attempt and cast on using the cable cast on instead of long tail -- I normally like this one better but it's more work, especially with two strands. I got impatient and stopped at 32 stitches instead of going out to 64, which had been my intention. I can't seem to make up my mind! LOL I'm going to finish this one (really!) so that I can wash it with my current (store-bought) placemats and see how it comes out.

GrumpyGramma 08-16-2013 11:07 AM

I prefer dishcloths that are about 6" or 7" squares. Larger or smaller pieces are still useful for other things. What pattern are you using for your place mats? I was playing with blanket rib stitch yesterday (yeah, making a dishcloth) and think it would make a nice place mat.

jinxnit55 08-17-2013 12:06 AM

Funny, I just finished one an hour ago. I just eyeballed it and worked until it "looked" right. I just measured it and it is 8 x 6.5 inches.

GrumpyGramma 08-17-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinxnit55 (Post 1383821)
Funny, I just finished one an hour ago. I just eyeballed it and worked until it "looked" right. I just measured it and it is 8 x 6.5 inches.

LOL my guesstimate is 6" or 7" I just eyeball them too! I know if they get too big I feel like I'm trying to wash dishes with a towel and if they're too small I can't hold on to them very well. Some stretch more than others when they're wet, depending on the stitches and those I like smaller.

Woofens 08-17-2013 02:27 AM

I mainly eyeball mine too, that or fold it on the diagonal until it makes a triangle, so they are usually about 7 inches square. The Ballband cloth I just finished is much larger than that and not square, caused it was turning into a towel.

justplaincharlotte 08-18-2013 08:58 PM

I like mine between 9 to 12" square. Dishcloths in my house double as kitchen towels. :mrgreen: