KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   To block or not to block (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114189)

MissMurder 08-18-2013 11:34 AM

To block or not to block

I'm just wondering if there is ANY point at all in blocking a 100% Organic Cotton that is both machine washer and dryer friendly? I want to make a bra I found but the person says to block the cotton yarn. Is there any point in doing this since a bra is something that has to be washed?

Jan in CA 08-18-2013 01:47 PM

A bra? As in something you wear under clothing like a regular bra? If that's the case I probably wouldn't block it unless you needed to smooth the fabric.

GrumpyGramma 08-18-2013 01:57 PM

Can you link to the pattern? I'm with Jan on the blocking.

MissMurder 08-18-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1383898)
A bra? As in something you wear under clothing like a regular bra? If that's the case I probably wouldn't block it unless you needed to smooth the fabric.

Yes ma'am that's correct... A bra. I'm very confused because it's cotton and a bra.. i'll try finding the direct link, i know i found it on Knitty.com and it's called 1930.

MissMurder 08-18-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1383899)
Can you link to the pattern? I'm with Jan on the blocking.

knitty.com/ISSUEsummer04/PATT1930.html

GrumpyGramma 08-18-2013 04:41 PM

Now I see it I remember coming across it before. I see no point in blocking it if you are going to wear it since it will machine wash and dry. If you want a photo shoot to show it to best advantage, maybe.

justplaincharlotte 08-18-2013 08:53 PM

Oh, now that is so cool!:cool:

I'd agree with GG & Jan, block only for a photo. If you're going to wear it, I'd recommend a different type of bias tape than satin, which may not wash well. But your mileage may vary!

salmonmac 08-19-2013 05:53 AM

Gosh, I'm a big fan of blocking (a blockhead?). It helps line up the sts and tells them where you'd like them to be. If you're going to take the time to knit this very pretty set, then why not do the finishing step?

MissMurder 08-19-2013 09:20 AM

Thank you for all who helped. I don't think I'll block it though since i've never blocked anything before, don't want to screw it up and the only person who will see it in it's entirety will be my husband... I still don't know where to find Bias tape of any kind, I searched Joann's but that was a no. Does anybody have any ideas where to get it? Oh and also does anyone know where to buy Underwires for a DD?

MissMurder 08-19-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salmonmac (Post 1383966)
Gosh, I'm a big fan of blocking (a blockhead?). It helps line up the sts and tells them where you'd like them to be. If you're going to take the time to knit this very pretty set, then why not do the finishing step?

Wouldn't it be pointless to block since it's washable? Having never blocked before, I would think it would loose the shape you put it in once you washed it and since I intend to wear it it seems doubly pointless, to me at least since i'll wash and re wash. I'm not saying blocking is pointless itself, just seems that was for this.