KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   FO: Graceful Clouds (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114191)

nonny2t 08-18-2013 03:29 PM

FO: Graceful Clouds

1 Attachment(s)
As the old adage says, "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." I needed more yarn to finish a sweater, ordered the yarn and got it and it was worsted not dk. It was on sale and they won't take back sale yarn so I decided to make a hat with part of it. I really like this color, but this sure doesn't look lemon to me and that's the colors name.
Cascade Cotton Rich yarn in lemon
pattern I found on someone's personal blog. Unfortunately, she didn't take the time to reread her instructions and there were several booboos. Nothing monumental, but you had to pay attention. I also changed the band to k2 p2 rather than the one garter stitch one she provided. Ribbing gives you stretch and bounce back better I think.

claireweber 08-18-2013 04:00 PM

That is a very nice hat, it surely will keep someone's head warm. It's so easy to get caught up in the excitement of a yarn purchase and make a mistake - lemonade out of lemons, funny that lemon is the name of the color :lol:

GrumpyGramma 08-18-2013 04:37 PM

I like your hat and think the rib looks better and will give you the fit you want better than garter stitch, good call on a modify! Sorry 'bout the yarn weight mix up but the hat is gorgeous! So what about the sweater?

Woofens 08-18-2013 04:55 PM

Cute hat and I :heart: the color!

nonny2t 08-18-2013 05:37 PM

Well, not good actually. The original yarn I purchased wasn't listed as discontinued where I bought it and was still listed on the brand website as being active. Though I bought what the pattern called for, I am a bit short. I went through every LYS here, 10 pages of google, even Ebay and Ravelry and no one has the yarn. I have the neckline decrease and the front shoulder pieces to do. I thought maybe I could take out part of the back and use smaller needles and use the worsted, but it would have been too noticeable even on the back so scratched that plan. I ordered a dk weight same brand and color name and number but it is cotton/elastic instead of cotton/nylon. When it gets here I am going to see if I could use it on the back and it match ok. Who knows? If not, I will have to rip the whole thing out I guess and give it up to bad luck. Keep your fingers crossed for me! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1383916)
I like your hat and think the rib looks better and will give you the fit you want better than garter stitch, good call on a modify! Sorry 'bout the yarn weight mix up but the hat is gorgeous! So what about the sweater?

justplaincharlotte 08-18-2013 09:20 PM

Lovely hat, nonny!

GrumpyGramma 08-18-2013 10:37 PM

I'm wondering if you might be able to incorporate a second color into your sweater somehow and finish it that way. Got a link to show what it looks like?

jinxnit55 08-18-2013 10:44 PM

That is very cute and cheerful!

sandylee222 08-18-2013 11:32 PM

Cute hat! Pattern and color are beautiful.

salmonmac 08-19-2013 06:03 AM

Love the hat and especially the color!
The sweater, what a saga. Does it have ribbing? In extremis you could cut and use the yarn from the rib to finish the front, then reknit the rib down to the end in another weight or even a slightly different dye lot.