KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Question about Denise Needle Kit (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114210)

knitcindy 08-20-2013 12:29 PM

Question about Denise Needle Kit

I have both a Boye Interchangeable circular needle kit AND a Denise interchangeable one. I like the ease of changing the needle tips on the Denise set BUT I like the thinness of the cords in the Boye set!!

I've already broken one of the ends off a cord in the Denise set, trying to "scootch" the stitches along it while knitting. Does anyone know of an interchangeable that combines the ease of changing the tips AND the skinny-ness of the cords???

I'm not able to buy any set right now, I'm just looking.
THANKS!!
knitcindy

artsy1 08-20-2013 02:05 PM

i'd consider the knitters pride dreamz, they are similar to the knitpics, but i like the colors better- they are screw on, rather than the denise setup, i have denise and boye and prefer the dreamz

GrumpyGramma 08-20-2013 02:51 PM

I think Addi Clicks connect similarly to the Denise and have thin cables. I think they are rather $pendy. Sometimes on the New Stitch a Day videos he uses Addi Clicks.

dturner 08-20-2013 07:28 PM

A coworker let me take home her Addi Clicks to try out. The connections worked very well, IMO. If I remember correctly, there was no 16 or 17" cable, which is a drawback, IMO. The cables are very thin and flexible. They would work beautifully for Magic Loop. They are quite a bit pricier than the Knit Picks set. I wasn't bothered by the thick cables of the Denise needles--until I learned Magic Loop!

GrumpyGramma 08-20-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dturner (Post 1384087)
A coworker let me take home her Addi Clicks to try out. The connections worked very well, IMO. If I remember correctly, there was no 16 or 17" cable, which is a drawback, IMO. The cables are very thin and flexible. They would work beautifully for Magic Loop. They are quite a bit pricier than the Knit Picks set. I wasn't bothered by the thick cables of the Denise needles--until I learned Magic Loop!

A point of interest for myself: What are the tips on the Addi Clicks like? I bought an Addi Turbo circ for sock yarn and found the tip was too blunt for my liking, not like the Nova tips which are pretty sharp.

Jan in CA 08-20-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dturner (Post 1384087)
I wasn't bothered by the thick cables of the Denise needles--until I learned Magic Loop!

Agreed! They are nice needles, but I'll give up the "click" for my pointy needles and thin flexible cables. It's not that hard to use a grippy and cable key to attach.

Anyway..I think the Addis are blunter, but we need so done like Artlady who has them to weigh in.

dturner 08-24-2013 06:42 PM

Yes, GG, the points on the Addis are a bit blunt. I noticed that they are making a lace Addi Click set, and I'm sure the needles are pointier (that's probably not a word, but I can't think of a better word right now!) But, at the cost of Addis, I don't think I'd want to invest in two sets! I think there are a lot of other needle options today that were not there when I went back to knitting six or seven years ago. Like, Jan, I don't find the screw-on cables to be a big problem. Everyone seems to have a strong opinion about needles. I think it's largely a matter of personal preference. For me, I think the "perfect"
needle set would be KP Harmonies combined with Addi Click connectors.

GrumpyGramma 08-24-2013 09:33 PM

Thanks, dt. I'm not thinking of buying Addis, I was curious. One thing I didn't like about the Denise needles is that the cable did come loose from the needle. I guess it's something to do with the way I knit. Sometimes the the Knitter's Pride or Knit Picks come loose too and that doesn't seem to be a common problem.

ArtLady1981 09-02-2013 06:55 PM

I have both the original Addi Clicks set (with the blunter tip) and the Addi Clicks Lace Longs.

The Addi Clicks Lace Longs are very pointy, perfect for difficult stitches such a Purl 3 together thru back loop! :eyes:

However, I would not purchase the "sets" again. I would cobble together a set of my liking, specifically sizes US 7 and up...because the design of the join is will snag the yarn and stitches when you knit with US 6 and smaller.

You can purchase Addi Clicks tips and cables separately these days.

Someone asked about the Addi Clicks metal (nickel plated) 'finish'. The finish is even better than Turbos. It's buttery soft and slick. I just love it. That's why I knit with my Addi Clicks most of the time.

And my favorite wood finish is Knit Picks Harmony, hands down. I love them tremendously.