KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Yarn substitute (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114240)

KnittinGal 08-23-2013 04:52 PM

Yarn substitute

Hi there!

Sometime soon, I would really like to knit the "Lush and Lacy Cardigan" by SweaterBabe, and I had a question about yarn substitution.

The pattern calls for a worsted-weight angora/wool blend yarn, weight category 4. However, I have two sweater-vests, and both are for cooler weather. I'd like something for spring or summer, and it appears that the cardigan might be a good choice...except for the wool. Does anyone have any suggestions as to substituting yarn/fiber? Wouldn't cotton be cooler?

All this assuming I can get gauge, of course...:teehee:

Thanks!

RochesterKnitter 08-23-2013 05:06 PM

Yes, cotton would be cooler.

Wool is insulating. Acrylic does not breathe.

You can search Ravelry, Yarndex or other yarn databases by weight and fiber to look for possible substitutions

salmonmac 08-23-2013 07:52 PM

That's a very pretty sweater. I'm never completely happy with all cotton yarn. At a worsted weight, it seems to heavy. Maybe a wool cotton blend would lighten it a bit and give you the added spring of wool? This kind of project is when you really appreciate a good LYS where you can touch the yarn.

KnittinGal 08-23-2013 08:10 PM

I was thinking about Hobby Lobby's "I Love This Cotton", simply because it is inexpensive. I used it for one of my vests, and so far I am happy with it. It's an Aran weight...would that be lighter than worsted?? :???:

I will look into wool/cotton blends, though. Thanks for the ideas!

GrumpyGramma 08-23-2013 09:18 PM

Is this it? #70 Lush and Lacy Cardigan That's really pretty. What about a bamboo blend? I think I've read that it's good for warmer weather.

Becky Morgan 08-23-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnittinGal (Post 1384285)
It's an Aran weight...would that be lighter than worsted?? :???:

Aran is a tad heavier than worsted.
If your budget can stand it, you might look into something silk-blended or something like Knitpicks Comfy, which is cotton with 25% acrylic. If the pattern can stand DK weight (which might be better for spring anyhow) you could look into cotton/linen blend. Another thing to remember is that cotton doesn't always hold very deep or bright colors well, so you might want prints or pastels.

KnittinGal 08-23-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1384290)

Indeed it is! :-P I really love it.

Bamboo hadn't really crossed my mind, but I'll check it out. I would be really happy if I could have a hand-knit, warmer-weather sweater! Right now, I find myself thinking, "Is it fall yet?!? I wanna wear my knitted garments!" :mrgreen:

KnittinGal 08-27-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky Morgan (Post 1384292)
Aran is a tad heavier than worsted.
If your budget can stand it, you might look into something silk-blended or something like Knitpicks Comfy, which is cotton with 25% acrylic. If the pattern can stand DK weight (which might be better for spring anyhow) you could look into cotton/linen blend. Another thing to remember is that cotton doesn't always hold very deep or bright colors well, so you might want prints or pastels.

Sounds like KnitPicks Comfy is a possibility! One quick question...will the acrylic in the yarn cause it to get fuzzy and worn-looking more quickly? I made a book cover recently out of all-acrylic yarn, and it is already rather rough-looking. Granted, it is 100% acrylic. Maybe the small amount in KP's Comfy won't make any difference...? :???:

Thank you all for your help!