KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Can you knit a dress in the round using dpns? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114389)

ad2knit 09-03-2013 03:47 AM

Can you knit a dress in the round using dpns?

I've decided that perhaps circular knitting needles are not for me - no matter what brand or material I use, my hands still end up hurting whilst using them.

But i can knit in the round using DPNS - my fingerless gloves I made proved that....so this might be a dumb question - but can you knit a dress using DPNS? Or is that ridiculous? I really wanted to knit this dress but if circs don't work for me i may need to think of an alternate way of knitting it - or knit something else with the 3 balls of yarn in my stash! LOL

salmonmac 09-03-2013 06:02 AM

Is this a dress for an adult or a child? The problem is getting enough sts onto the dpns to do a dress. Even if you use 5 extra long dpns it may not be enough to hold the stitches. It might be better to knit back and forth on straight needles or use straights with a cord at the end.

Jan in CA 09-03-2013 10:18 AM

I think you'd be better off making it flat and seaming.

Circs are kind of like DPN with cables attached. It's too bad they bother you. Maybe it's the weight of the farbeic on the cable that's the problem? If that's the case any large project in the round, even on DPN, might be a problem.

Ingrid 09-03-2013 05:47 PM

Circular needles weren't always available. "Back in the day," the women who knitted Shetland sweaters used loooong dpns--called pins. I don't know if they're still available, but might be worth a search.

claireweber 09-04-2013 09:14 AM

I found these on ebay, they have three pairs left in a size 15 needle. The ones that I have are smaller sizes, the needles on mine are 5 1/2 inch lengths.

Clover Flex Bamboo Needles

What size(s) needles do you need?

You could potentially use DPNs, you would need to buy an additional set and use point protectors to keep your stitches from dropping off, just a thought, don't know if this is practical.

ETA - I did a google image search and found these needles available in a variety of sizes here.

Clover Flex Bamboo Needles

claireweber 09-04-2013 10:21 PM

One thing I've been thinking. You might be able to find someone to convert a pair of straights to circulars. Cut off the ends opposite the tips, then use a drill press to drill a very small hole down the center length on the cut ends. Then glue a cable in between the ends and sand the ends to taper down to the cable.

After I make my move to California, I will have full access to a shop. With the wizardly skills of DH, FIL and BIL, and of course... ME!!! :roflhard: I could make one for you.

I measured my Addi interchangeables today, size seven, and the length of the needle is the same as the length of the Flex needle, so I don't know if the Flex needles will work for you.

ad2knit 09-06-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1385075)
I think you'd be better off making it flat and seaming.

OK...how would i do that exactly? Obv using straight needles and knitting flat yes but....you can tell i'm still at learning level when it comes to knitting lol!

Pattern is here if you want to see it - you'd have to register and download pattern but at least you can view it and explain how i do it all flat with straights.......If you like of course, I'm not going to force you lol!

Jan in CA 09-06-2013 02:54 PM

I can't see the picture.

Personally I'd just look for one that is knit flat rather than try and change it. Knitting flat can change the gauge and if there is any detailing it's harder to adjust that for flat.

Did you look on Ravelry?

GrumpyGramma 09-06-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1385298)
I can't see the picture.

Personally I'd just look for one that is knit flat rather than try and change it. Knitting flat can change the gauge and if there is any detailing it's harder to adjust that for flat.

Did you look on Ravelry?

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sear...best&photo=yes

DavidSydney63 09-06-2013 07:18 PM

OH that's cute - but I'd follow the pattern, personally ...