KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   FO: Socks, 2 pairs, self-patterning yarn (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114426)

Olha 09-06-2013 04:03 PM

FO: Socks, 2 pairs, self-patterning yarn

Hi there,

I was planning this ambitios post called Sock Mania but couldn't wait until I finish the other ones. You know what I am talking about, right? The Second Ones. If I did finish them, I would have 4 pairs to show, but oh well. (And what is my next project, you ask? A baby hat, of course) :)

Anyway, here is what I've got so far. The yarn is Regia, Norweger Ringel Color for the blue socks, and DGB Confetti for the colourful ones.

I mentioned elsewhere I am working on a Perfect Toe for children socks because they seem to be either too pointy or too square with regular decreases, depending how many stitches I leave to graft. Well, I realised that if I decrease from 16 sts to 8 in without the plain rounds in between, it makes a more round toe. You can sort of see the difference in the last two pictures. ETA: I add a few rounds before I start the shaping to compensate for a shorter toe.

The Confetti socks have regular shaping ending with 8 sts, and the blue ones have a new shaping, also ending in 8 sts.

Thanks for looking! :)

GrumpyGramma 09-06-2013 04:12 PM

Lovely! I just :heart: the colors on both. Good thinking on the modified toe. Is this where you used the afterthought heel?

Woofens 09-06-2013 05:38 PM

Beautiful socks!!

Olha 09-06-2013 08:31 PM

Thanks! No, the blue socks have a flap heel, I know it's hard to tell with all those colours :) It's a single sock that is awating his sole mate (pun intended) that has an afterthough heel. I will make some close up pictures of it.

GrumpyGramma 09-06-2013 08:44 PM

Ah, now I can see the heel flap. I've been wondering, with kids' socks knit from the top, can you undo the toe and make them longer then just reknit the toe?

jinxnit55 09-06-2013 09:40 PM

Love both pairs!

Olha 09-06-2013 10:20 PM

Sure, I can. The only thing is that the rest of the sock -- hopefully -- will be kind of worn out :) I made a few first pairs with just a bit of room to grow and they did last for over a year. But I then I decided that -- like you said -- I can just make them longer, and now I knit them to fit. Funny thing, the moment I decided that, I started finishing them with a few yards of yarn to spare :) But toes can be any colour, right? :)

justplaincharlotte 09-07-2013 01:39 AM

Lovely socks Olha!

salmonmac 09-07-2013 06:06 AM

Wonderful socks on happy feet! Very nicely done.
I never thought about it before but maybe replacement heels and toes were the origin of the different colors that we now use as a design element on socks?

dturner 09-07-2013 10:14 AM

I'm glad you went ahead and posted! You can still do your sock mania post when all the socks are done. I like the colors, particularly the blue. :cheering: