Forum Forum (
-   How-to Questions (
-   -   knitting in garter ridges (

jkeva410 09-08-2013 07:42 AM

knitting in garter ridges
Hello, I'm a fairly novice knitter, thinking about tackling a new project that will be a little of a stretch for me - I'm stumped by this instruction:

Pick up and knit 3 stitches in the garter ridges on the edge of the piece (6 sts). Turn the work 90 degrees clockwise.

Can someone explain this or direct me to a graphic/photo/video of this technique?


Ingrid 09-08-2013 09:27 AM

When you knit in garter stitch, it creates 'ridges'--the lines of knit rows and purl rows. (Even though you knit every row, the back of a knit is a purl and the back of a purl is a knit, so when the fabric faces you, you see a row of knit and a row of purl.) The purl rows are the higher lines and the knit rows are the dips between them.

On the edge of your fabric, you'll have 3 lines of purl and 3 lines of knit. Pick up a stitch in each of the 'dips' of knit rows.

jkeva410 09-08-2013 10:26 AM

thanks-I think I figured it out.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:50 PM.