KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   WIP: Shih Tzu doggy bed (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114469)

ArtLady1981 09-09-2013 05:33 PM

WIP: Shih Tzu doggy bed

I knit another doggy bed for Katie. I have yet to felt it. Don't know when I'll be able to do that final chore. It's so thick. I need either very hot weather to dry it outside in the sun, or very cold weather to dry it in the house in our family room where the 'earth stove' is.

Right now, neither opportunity is presenting itself.

Every scrap of yarn is stash. The brown used for the center of the bed was some Elann yarn
I bought several years ago for my husband, but he liked the green tweed better. So I was stuck with this hazelnut tweed that's disgustingly blah. But for the center of Katie's bed, it's perfect.

In addition to the brown, I used 14 different odd bits of leftover stash yarn from
projects too numerous to mention! It felt so good to put them all together to good use!

My Rav notebook, if you care to read my modifications for this "Kitty Bed" free pattern!

Here's Katie, in her first "kitty bed"! :teehee:

Believe it or not, she loves to stretch out in this bed, belly-side up! That's
the Shih Tzu way of chilling!

The new bed will have taller sides, and a smaller center. I'm going to knit
a cushion for the center, too, using leftover of that hazelnut tweed, holding
3 or 4 strands together. Maybe I'll even crochet the 'rounds' and whip stitch
the two sides together around the perimeter after stuffing it with something.
I won't felt the cushion cove cuz I'm on unfamiliar ground about the shrink factor
for rounds. I'll just crochet it really really dense and thick. If I run out of the hazelnut
tweed for side 1, I'll use some grey heather bulky yarn that's leftover from my NELL coat.

Woofens 09-09-2013 05:44 PM

That's amazing Artlady. Beautiful, as always.

salmonmac 09-09-2013 05:59 PM

That is one elegant and cozy bed. Lovely color combinations. Katie is a lucky girl.

Olha 09-09-2013 08:47 PM

Well, now I want a bed like that.

GrumpyGramma 09-09-2013 08:54 PM

Nicely done and a great stash buster.
You might consider fpsc and/or bpsc for the cushion, it would be very dense. Tunisian crochet might be good for it too.

Front Post and Back Post Single Crochet Tutorial

justplaincharlotte 09-09-2013 10:20 PM

Lucky Katie! :heart:

Jan in CA 09-09-2013 11:17 PM

Wow, very cool!

nonny2t 09-10-2013 02:34 PM

She's going to love having a second "vacation" home! It looks great!!!:inlove:

ArtLady1981 09-11-2013 06:16 PM

doggy bed is felted and drying outside!

It’s 91 degrees today, and the weather is supposed to remain in the high 80’s until Sunday. So I took a chance and felted the bed today!

Here's the process I used:

Filled the washer with HOT water, on full depth setting. Added two pair black jeans and 1 cap of liquid detergent. When the washer was not quite done filling, I stopped the machine and added a 12 qt pot of boiling water. I allowed the 18 minute agitation cycle to run 10 times or more. A long time.

When the hot water was drained, I turned the water temp setting to COLD. When the rinse water in the washer was full, I added two bags of ice. (my washer can handle SUPER LARGE loads…so this addition of ice wouldn’t overtax it. Same goes for the 18 qt pot of boiling water. I had read that shocking the wool from HOT to ICE COLD also aids in the felting process.

Anyway, the felted fabric is very stiff and firm. Perfect! I put a garbage can upside down on the lawn, pulled a black leaf bag over it, added two beach towels over that…and tried to pull the felted bed over the shape. The bed was not large enough (for which I’m glad). So I put metal barrel container on top of the garbage can, put the beach towels over the metal barrel, and tried the felted bed again. IT WORKED! So 3 of the photos show the (damp/wet) bed pulled over the cans, and sitting out in the sun to dry.

After a day, I’ll remove the bed and turn it inside out, so that the other side is facing out. I’ll also change the beach towels with dry beach towels. This will help the bed dry thoroughly.

Tomorrow, when the bed is mostly dry, I'll lay a beach towel across the top of the rippley bottom, put a board across it, and lay weights on top of that. This will help press the ripples flat. This rippley effect was mentioned in the pattern. But even so, after the pad is made, the ripples won't show. I won't be able to leave the weights

jinxnit55 09-11-2013 09:38 PM

Very cool! That is one lucky dog!