KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   How do I block a lace project that is knit in the round? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114491)

claireweber 09-11-2013 11:59 AM

How do I block a lace project that is knit in the round?

The yarn is a #1, super fine weight. I am working on my swatch to determine needle size, this is for a cowl, and I would like to knit it in the round. I am at a loss as to how I would block this. I could knit it flat and then use a mattress stitch, but the yarn is just so fine; it could prove to be very challenging.

Has anyone blocked a lace project that was knitted in the round? How can this be done?

TYIA :muah:

RochesterKnitter 09-11-2013 01:47 PM

Wouldn't you just fold it in half?

You could put some socks in the folds to minimize the crease.

salmonmac 09-11-2013 05:24 PM

I've blocked projects in the round by stuffing towels into them but I haven't done anything with very fine yarn this way.

Daylilydayzed 09-17-2013 10:19 PM

If you have a long round pillow you could use that. That is what I told my daughter-in-law to do if she washed the cowl I knitted for her.

claireweber 09-17-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daylilydayzed (Post 1386048)
If you have a long round pillow you could use that. That is what I told my daughter-in-law to do if she washed the cowl I knitted for her.

That is a really good idea! Thank you so much :muah:

jinxnit55 09-18-2013 09:34 PM

Ha! You beat me to it, Claire. I am going to have to do just that when I finish my dropped stitch cowl. The funny thing is that I started knitting it flat on circular needles, but it encompassed the whole needle and somehow got knit together at the top. It seemed too hard to undo and looked OK, so I just kept on knitting it in the round, and I was wondering how I would block it!

claireweber 09-19-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinxnit55 (Post 1386111)
Ha! You beat me to it, Claire. I am going to have to do just that when I finish my dropped stitch cowl. The funny thing is that I started knitting it flat on circular needles, but it encompassed the whole needle and somehow got knit together at the top. It seemed too hard to undo and looked OK, so I just kept on knitting it in the round, and I was wondering how I would block it!

:roflhard: This is what someone who is knitting flat on circular needles try to avoid ;) Well, now we both have something we can share notes about. One of those bolster pillows with towels placed appropriately may just do it, at least for the one I am doing. I am beginning with size 8 needles, and will end with probably a size 6. Actually, I'm wondering if I may be able to purchase a piece of foam (maybe JoAnn's) and then use towels around it? Hmm....:think:

jinxnit55 09-20-2013 10:06 PM

I have a bolster pillow so I will have to measure it and see if it would work! Thanks for the foam idea, too. Or for that matter, you could roll up a big fat towel by itself and use that!