KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Making a Scarf W/Different Weight Wool (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114510)

butlersabroad 09-12-2013 02:53 PM

Making a Scarf W/Different Weight Wool

I want to make this scarf for my husband for Christmas.

He chose the wool recently on a trip to Northern Michigan, it's Stonehedge Fibres Yarn in a dark red with tweedy black flecks. But it's worsted weight and the pattern calls for DK. It's not a complicated pattern but the heavier weight yarn will affect how it looks.... so should I use smaller needles? Cast on less stitches? Or just go for it and see what happens? I want to knit it at work during my lunch break so he doesn't see it, which means I can't really knit and block a swatch before starting the project. What would you advise I do?

butlersabroad 09-12-2013 03:35 PM

I've been poking about on Ravelry and I think I might be OK as is, the yarn says 17 - 21 stitches = 4 inches, the scarf is 22 stitches. Also the needle size recommended is US 6 - 8 and the scarf uses US 7.

If you do look at the yarn, that photo of the dark red, top left, is what I bought.

claireweber 09-12-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butlersabroad (Post 1385777)
I want to make this scarf for my husband for Christmas.

He chose the wool recently on a trip to Northern Michigan, it's Stonehedge Fibres Yarn in a dark red with tweedy black flecks. But it's worsted weight and the pattern calls for DK. It's not a complicated pattern but the heavier weight yarn will affect how it looks.... so should I use smaller needles? Cast on less stitches? Or just go for it and see what happens? I want to knit it at work during my lunch break so he doesn't see it, which means I can't really knit and block a swatch before starting the project. What would you advise I do?

I love the scarf and the idea of sneaky knitting is so sweet :heart: You can certainly knit this scarf in the worsted weight, I would alter the finished dimensions of the scarf slightly due to the fact that it will be a bit of a bulkier fabric - increase the width to maybe 5 1/2 or 6" and decrease the length, maybe 72". You can do a small swatch to determine not only gauge but which needle size you would prefer. You might initially do a swatch in a size 8 needle and see if you are happy with the look. HTH

BTW I :heart: :heart: :heart: this stitch pattern.

butlersabroad 09-13-2013 10:31 AM

I don't have any size 8 needles, so I'm off out to Mike's this lunchtime armed with a 40% off coupon. I brought the yarn and my size 7's to work with me this morning, so after I get the size 8's I can do a few rows on each needle and see what I like best.

I really likes the stitch pattern too, thought it would be great for a male scarf. I found it through the Patterns section on this site, there's a ton of good stuff there.

claireweber 09-13-2013 09:42 PM

It is a great stitch pattern for a man's scarf! I look forward to hearing about your progress.