KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Triangle Outline in Lace - first row unclear (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114611)

KnitBeg 09-23-2013 01:50 PM

Triangle Outline in Lace - first row unclear

I found this Lace Pattern

I would like to try it, but I don't understand the first round. The triangles indicate a decrease in stitches (either to the right or left), the circle a yarn over.
This fits for the odd rows 3, 5, 7 and 9 as they have one YO for every decrease. But row 1 has only one YO and two decreases - so all in all you'll diminish the stitch count by one. That ain't right... :??

:think: Am I overlooking something? It looks OK on the sample picture they posted so it seems possible... :help: Any ideas?

BTW, the empty cells are knit on odds and purl on even rows, and the one with a dot in it are the other way around.

claireweber 09-23-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnitBeg (Post 1386291)
But row 1 has only one YO and two decreases - so all in all you'll diminish the stitch count by one. That ain't right... :??

:think: Am I overlooking something? It looks OK on the sample picture they posted so it seems possible... :help:

Well, good catch on that one, tain't right. Impossible for the sample picture to be knit based on that graph.

So you have some choices to make. You can eliminate Rows 1 and 2 and have an eight row pattern without an eyelet at the center bottom. Another choice is to alter the pattern so that your decreases are next to the eyelets, here is an example of that:

Lace V's

You may need to alter your stitch count by one, or not, may be able to keep it the same. If you want to go this route and need assistance, let me know.

Ingrid 09-23-2013 08:39 PM

They do call it the "Impossible Lace Motif". :shrug:

KnitBeg 09-25-2013 03:38 AM

@Ingrid
That would be a good name, indeed ;)

@ClaireWeber
Thank you for the link to that other lace pattern. I might go for that.

I tried 4 ways to change ONLY the first row (and 2nd in the 4th way)
1) No decreases on sides, one decrease RIGHT from yo
2) No decreases on sides, one decrease LEFT from yo
3) 2yo behind one another
4) Row 1 as described, but I knitted 2 stitches into the yo-stitch in row 2 so I had a count of 13 again at the end of the row.
Here's what it looks like, with 2 edge stitches on either side (sl1p+k) as I wondered whether this pattern could be used as a wrist warmer / bracelet for the wingspan-shawl.

I've got plenty of photo's, but won't post them all. I think one can visit the photobucket account (I set it to Public) for close ups.

Version 3 is a nono, and version 4 also looks a bit odd - but I'm surprised how little version 1 and 2 differ. I had expected the hole to be quite off-centre...

As a wrist band it would look like this:

It's OK but I think I like the WaveWristlet better. I've probably got enough yarn to do both.