KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Help Understanding Knitting Patten - Knittting Mitts (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114630)

EvilG 09-25-2013 04:13 AM

Help Understanding Knitting Patten - Knittting Mitts

Hi everyone! This is my first post here and hope someone can help me out as I feel very confused at the moment.

I got this book on knitting mittens and gloves (Simple Knits - Mittens and Gloves to be exact - Project Wristwarmers) and I've got so far with the patten and now don't understand what to do next.

I've done as the patten told me to which was to cast on 30sts and then ribbed the work until it measures 6 inches. Now it's asking me to place the thumb and I not sure how to do this as it doesn't seem very clear to me at the moment.

Here are the instructions as follows

Place Thumb
Next Row - Patt 17 sts, slip last 4 sts worked onto a stitch holder, patt to end.

Now I'm confused. First of all I don't understand what patt means. I know it means patten, but in the context of this project I don't understand what it wants me to do. Also it says for me to place 4 stitches onto the stitch holder, I'm fine with that but what do I do with the other 9 stitches I have left on the needle?

After that it then asks me to do the following

Next row Patt 13 sts, cast on 4 sts, patt to the end. Cont in rib as set until work measures 1 1/2" (4cm) from thumb opening.

I don't understand where it wants me to cast on the 4 sts and if it wants me to do this before or after the sts I placed on the stitch holder.

It then goes on to talk about knitting a separate thumb so I'm assuming that the stitch holding is holding the 4 stitches where the thumb will be placed but I'm confused about the rest of the above. Most importantly what do I do with these 9 stitches I have left over.

If anyone cold help it would be most appreciated.

Thank you

:aww:

salmonmac 09-25-2013 05:12 AM

Welcome to Knitting Help!
When the instructions say to "pattern" some number of stitches, it means to continue the stitches that you've have been using on previous rows so that the overall pattern continues. If your pattern has been ribbing (k1, p1)or stockinette stitch (knit one row, purl one row) then continue those stitches.
If you cast on 30sts, work 17sts and place the last 4sts from the right needle on a stitch holder, you should have 13sts remaining on the right needle and 13sts on the left needle. Work those 13sts on the left needle in the pattern stitch to the end of the row. (I don't understand where you have 9 stitches? On which needle?)
For the row with the cast on of 4 sts, those cast on stitches are placed over the space left by the 4sts that are on the stitch holder. So work 13sts in your pattern, cast on 4sts and continue knitting the row. You can use a backward loop cast on or a cable cast on for this.
Good luck with the wrist warmers and come back with questions if you have more.

EvilG 09-25-2013 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salmonmac (Post 1386379)
If you cast on 30sts, work 17sts and place the last 4sts from the right needle on a stitch holder, you should have 13sts remaining on the right needle and 13sts on the left needle. Work those 13sts on the left needle in the pattern stitch to the end of the row. (I don't understand where you have 9 stitches? On which needle?

I just had a count and what I meant to say was that I would have 9 stitches left over after taking the 4 off for the stitch holder. 9 stitches plus the 4 on the stitch holder would be 13. I haven't attempted this as thought I would ask first. Although having re read what you've said I think I understand now which is to have the stitch holder in the centre of the row rather than at one end. Is that right?

Thank you so much for your help and apologises if I sound a little slow with this

salmonmac 09-25-2013 06:32 AM

Yes, the stitch holder is in the center of the row with 13 sts on either side. Your questions are all good and everyone here is happy to help. Feel free to ask away. Post a photo of the finished project if you'd like. We'd love to see it!

EvilG 09-25-2013 10:51 AM

Ok then, so I knitted the first row, and placed the stitch holder in the middle, holding the four stitches. Now I can't quite cast on the 4 extra 4 stitches for some reason. The patten upon re reading says to use the cable cast on but I find that the needles keep binding up for some reason.

salmonmac 09-25-2013 01:05 PM

Take a look at the video I linked to or watch others on YouTube and see if you can figure out where it's going wrong. You might also try the cable cast on on a swatch.
For the srist warmers, you'll want to cast on the stitches onto the needle that has the working yarn coming off the end. This is the needle in your right hand. You'll take it into your left hand to do the cast on and once you have the 4 sts cast on, the needle goes back to your rigth hand and you continue knitting to the end of the row.

EvilG 09-26-2013 11:29 AM

So I managed to make the mitt itself and have now bind(ed) off. I figured out how to do the cable cast on but have found that I keep getting a very small hole next to the thumb hole, where I may have gone wrong somewhere. Practice makes perfect I guess.

Now I need to make the thumb and don't quite understand the wording of the following.

Cast on 3 sts,with RS of work facing, k1,p2,k1 across 4st on stitch holder, cast on 3 sts. 10sts

I don't quite understand whether I'm meant to cast on the 3 sts and then slip the needle through the stitch holder or work from the stitch holder itself. I tried casting on 3 stitches and then trying to knit the first loop on the holder but couldn't work out how to do it.

Thank you for your help once again

salmonmac 09-26-2013 01:12 PM

You may be able to close up that very small hole next to the thumb opening by knitting into the back of the stitch. That tightens up the stitch and may help lessen the hole.

For the thumb it sounds like you cast on 3 sts, work those 3 and then work the sts from the stitch holder. Use the stitch holder like the left needle if possible and knit the stitches off onto the right needle. Then go on to cast on the second set of 3 sts.

EvilG 09-27-2013 05:16 AM

I've finished the first mitt and am not too happy with it, but at the same time not bad for a first attempt.

I knitted the thumb and then sewed it up, but the rib patten hasn't happened here for some reason. Although I can't really tell if it did in the book either as the thumb isn't really visbale.

I didn't really enjoy making this mitt as the book said it was easy and found it more challenging than I imagined to do.

I've seen videos on the web of people using circular needles or 3 needles to make mitts. I wonder if this is any easier for a beginner to make than just making a flat piece and then sewing it together?

salmonmac 09-27-2013 05:35 AM

Well, the mitt really turned out rather well. Yes, the thumb should probably continue the rib pattern for a neater look. Sometimes the best way to make this work is to look at your sts and see what the corrent row should be based on the previous rows. That way you can get the pattern to continue. Why not try this on the second mitt and tf you can get the pattern to work on the thumb, take out the thumb on mitt #1 and re-do it?