KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Is there anyplace you would NOT bring your knitting to????? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114639)

knitcindy 09-26-2013 07:11 AM

Is there anyplace you would NOT bring your knitting to?????

My family and I are attending a wedding tomorrow evening and that got me to wondering about places I wouldn't take knitting to. Here's my short list:

A wedding
A funeral (unless the person being honored was a knitter)
A church service

Well, that's it for me. Anybody else???
knitcindy

justplaincharlotte 09-26-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitcindy (Post 1386426)
My family and I are attending a wedding tomorrow evening and that got me to wondering about places I wouldn't take knitting to. Here's my short list:

A wedding
A church service

knitcindy

All of yours plus:
A dinner. I'm clumsy and whatever is on the table is likely to land in my lap or on the floor near me. :oo:

A meeting at work. Can't remember where I read of someone doing this to help her get through "boring" business meetings. IMO, that's unprofessional unless your business is a yarn shop. YMMV.

Dclutterchique 09-27-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitcindy (Post 1386426)

A wedding
A church service

knitcindy

Quote:

Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte (Post 1386437)
All of yours plus:
A dinner. I'm clumsy and whatever is on the table is likely to land in my lap or on the floor near me. :oo:

A meeting at work. Can't remember where I read of someone doing this to help her get through "boring" business meetings. IMO, that's unprofessional unless your business is a yarn shop. YMMV.

I pretty much agree with both of you. I wouldn't take knitting to a formal dinner or a resturant. If I were going to an informal dinner with close family or friends I may consider taking some knitting to do after the meal has finished and we've moved away from the table for the 'relax and chat' stage, but they would have to be very close people who have a similar mind set.

I wouldn't do knitting in a job interview (unless for a knitting or craft related job). If circumstances ment there was a lot of dead time while I was waiting to go into the interview I'd make a judgement call on whether or not to do something small and easy to put away while waiting.

Cinemas and theatres would be out. If the show is that good I'll be watching it, not knitting, and if it's that bad I'll be leaving, not staying.

The only other place I can think of is inside an MRI Scanner, but only because most of my needles are metal.

Oh, by the way, what does YMMV stand for?

Jan in CA 09-27-2013 04:16 PM

YMMV = your mileage may vary

I agree, but think a work meeting depends on the situation and how the boss feels about it. A lot of people, including myself, can pay attention better if our hands are busy. Obviously simple things are in order here if it's allowed.

knitcindy 09-28-2013 02:22 PM

I went to a wedding last night and boy I WISH I could've had my knitting with me!! So much time just sitting and waiting that I could have spent in productive knitting!!

Oh well. The bride was beautiful and the groom was handsome. Hope they like the afghan I knitted them!

knitcindy

GrumpyGramma 09-28-2013 04:19 PM

I never take my knitting into the shower or bathtub.

justplaincharlotte 09-28-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1386716)
I never take my knitting into the shower or bathtub.

:roflhard: Can't say as I blame you there.

GrumpyGramma 09-28-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte (Post 1386721)
:roflhard: Can't say as I blame you there.

Anywhere else is a possibility.

claireweber 09-28-2013 07:45 PM

Hmmm.....I actually wonder if anyone here may have taken their knitting into the tub, idk, one house I used to live in has a clawfoot tub, nah, probably wouldn't have worked out very well.

knitluck 09-29-2013 08:20 PM

I don't take my knitting into the bathtub, but I love reading knitting magazines in the bathtub. I would often escape to knitting fantasy land when my son was an infant.

Noooooo, I'm not totally sleepless and exhausted from hours of nursing a baby, I'm pretending that It's a beautiful crisp fall day with nothing but my knitting to do.

It actually helped a lot.