KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Storing yarn (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114836)

jinxnit55 10-07-2013 07:27 PM

Storing yarn

Hah! Came to a revelation today. It happened after my husband beseeched me once again to get "all that damned yarn" off the dining room table, and after I spent some time picking parmesan cheese crumbs out of a skein of dark blue Madeline Tosh chunky merino.

I like to have the yarn on the table because I can pat it and admire it, but push has come to shove. It occurred to me as I was looking through a drawer for something else. There was a big box of 1 gallon freezer storage bags with zip lock tops.

I think I used them mostly to put horse supplements in for when the horse was getting fed at the boarding stable. I just finished a baby hat (posted on FOs) and I liked the way it came out, plus I had a lot of the yarn left. I put the 3 colors of yarn in the bag with the proper needle and the printed instructions, with the picture of the hat facing out.

So, the next time I want to make that hat, it's all right there, like a kit. No more digging through bags and baskets looking for the right things, and hopefully the table will stay clearer. I could even hang the bagged "kits" in a closet.

I'm sure the rest of you have similar ways of keeping the yarn (and table) clear and safe! I just hadn't thought of it before or was too lazy! Patting myself on the back!

How do the rest of you store stuff?

GrumpyGramma 10-07-2013 07:32 PM

I have sealed bags of yarn but don't put needles in. I'd be forever looking through the "kits" to get the needle tips back when I want that size again.

jinxnit55 10-07-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1387367)
I have sealed bags of yarn but don't put needles in. I'd be forever looking through the "kits" to get the needle tips back when I want that size again.

I thought of that, but it works for me because I have a lot of duplicate needles, they're all Clover Takumi fixed circulars. I for some reason find myself using those the most.

claireweber 10-07-2013 11:11 PM

The one gallon and sometimes the two gallon bags. I use alcohol to remove the 'Ziplock' writing on the bags. And then they are stored in bins.

Jan in CA 10-08-2013 01:04 AM

I have a giant ziploc for wool and the rest is on ikea shelving. Or in a giant pile in the sewing closet. :zombie:

Tara-Marie 10-08-2013 07:21 AM

I use ziplocs too! They're great for carrying projects around, as my purse tends to get messy. I also use ziplocs when I design patterns, to keep finished projects clean & to store the swatches with them, for future reference.

knitcindy 10-08-2013 11:16 AM

I store my stash in plastic shopping bags according to color. Then those smaller bags go into big plastic bins in the basement.

knitcindy

justplaincharlotte 10-08-2013 12:09 PM

Like you, I'm a big fan of ziploc bags for storage. Like GG, I don't put needle tips in the bags unless it's a WIP.

Stash goes in the ziploc, then into a plastic bin, and is logged into my Ravelry stash so that I know what I have, and where. I'm in the process of assigning kit stash to projects so that I don't unwittingly use kit stash for something else.

Oy! Cataloging THAT for the first time was a nightmare! And if my bins are full, I don't buy more yarn and work out of stash. Trying to keep my house from turning into a one woman LYS has become real work. :oo: But it's a labor of love. :heart:

Your idea of storing as kits is a great one!:thumbsup: