KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   A Skew dilemma (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114967)

GrumpyGramma 10-18-2013 04:10 PM

A Skew dilemma

1 Attachment(s)
My problem is gauge and fit. I want the socks to fit the way I like them, I'm not sure how this pattern is going to work, so I can't make a call on whether to adjust the gauge.

Skew pattern

Quote:

Although the main portions of the foot and leg are worked on 72 stitches, because they are turned diagonally, the fit of this sock is comparable to a 60-stitch traditional sock circumference at the same gauge. Heel fit is similar to a short-row heel with mini-gussets.
Skew gauge: 31 sts/4" or 7.75 sts/inch

Currently I'm working with Valley Yarns Franklin Natural and I have more sts/inch than Skew's pattern calls for. These are basic, toe-up, stockinette stitch socks. With my sz 0 needles I have 56 sts per sock and the fit is just right. Each sock is 3" across the top or bottom (6" total) so that's 28 sts/3" or 9.3 sts/inch. I'm afraid that Skew will be too wide if I knit to gauge.

I'm leaning toward using the sz. 0 needles and going with more sts/inch (the gauge will be the same as with my current yarn) and hoping I'm right. What do you all think? I'm not to the heels of the these socks yet so I have a lot of time to fuss and fret over this.

Hmmm....Either I really prefer a snugger fit than most people or I have really rather narrow feet. Both? I expect if I knew where to look I could find comments about gauge and fit on Ravelry. If someone wants to point me there that would be fine with me.

Thanks!

salmonmac 10-18-2013 05:39 PM

It really is a bit hard to tell with these socks. I've made them and they are indeed skewed. You're increasing on one side and decreasing on the other so that rather than knitting straight up from the toe to the heel, you're knitting on a diagonal. I had to knit quite a ways before I could try them on and check the width. Well, an adventure in any case. Can't wait to see your finished socks.

GrumpyGramma 10-18-2013 06:19 PM

Thanks. It's good to know something of your experience. As you have done them already, do you know or think that working them 2 at a time is possible? If so, would you think it's a good idea? SSS is something I avoid whenever possible.

I may decide to skip them, at least for a while. I'd just really be less than thrilled :grrr: if I knit and knit and found they wouldn't fit.

Frogging is always an option.

Every time I read "a skew" I want to say "bless you!" :rofl:

GrumpyGramma 10-18-2013 06:25 PM

:eyebrow2:

In similar gauge, would you like the fit of a 60 st sock? If you say yes, then I think I should go down in needle size because I know I wouldn't like that fit.

RochesterKnitter 10-18-2013 06:58 PM

Hmm... My thought.

The good thing about knitting on the diagonal/bias is that you can measure adjust width/length as you go. Have you ever made "grandma's favorite dishcloth"? You can use the same pattern to make a coaster, washcloth, hand towel or bath towel by measuring the legth/sides as you go and either stopping/starting your increase/decrease. This is unlike traditional knitting where you CO X sts and hope its the width you want. After working a few rows, if its not right you have to frog and CO again. Seems to me the same thing might be true for these socks.

salmonmac 10-19-2013 04:25 AM

You could probably do them two at a time. For me, it was enough to keep one going, especially across the heel. I had 29-30sts/4" in st st and the socks are slightly larger than I would like (foot is 8" around at the arch). It is fun to see where the pattern is going and how it will turn out.

GrumpyGramma 10-19-2013 10:55 AM

I think I'll go ahead and start ONE on my sz 0 needles. I don't have sz 1 fixed circs and the pattern even says dpn aren't a good idea. If it doesn't fit I can frog. For whatever reason starting these is very intimidating. I will have to finish my WIP socks before I start because I have to have the needles they're on.

Thanks so much for the help, both of you.