KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   gloves - different coloured fingers: where to switch colours (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115128)

KnitBeg 11-01-2013 04:33 AM

gloves - different coloured fingers: where to switch colours

I'm knitting my first pair of gloves and it proves to be quite the challenge. I'm not really following a pattern - rather following 6 at once and trying to pick what works for me from all those. I've got quite some lifelines out and tried different things, but now I am at a point where I would like some advice.

I want to knit two of the fingers of the glove in a different colour. I have already knitted the thumb, pinky and pointy finger in one colour and want to knit the ring and middle finger in with a different thread. The yarn is the same, so the gauge doesn't change.
The way I knit the gloves, I have am now contemplating on when to start on the new colour:
- at the base of the fingers
- after 2 rows with the original colour A
I am leaning towards the second option, as I think this way it will be easier to make the part inbetween the pointy and middle finger look good - one has to pick up stitches here and I think it will look better if that happens in the same colour. However, this is just a thought - I have no proof it really will look better. And I do think it is nicer if the ring and middle finger have colour B inbetween them. That would be a reason for option one.

Any thoughts? Maybe a pattern description for a glove with fingers in different colours? I know they must be out there (I've seen self knitted gloves like that) but I can't find any descriptions. Maybe I'm overthinking this... :cool:

salmonmac 11-01-2013 05:20 AM

it's a good question. I tend to like the idea of starting the new color as you begin each finger but it may depend on how neatly you can pick up sts between the fingers (if that's what your pattern calls for). You might give it a try and see how it looks. I suppose it depends on how much contrast there is between the colors that you're using, too. Here's a pattern that starts the fingers off right away with different colors.

KnitBeg 11-01-2013 01:48 PM

I'll try to just go for a colour change right away, thank you for the feedback.

The contrast in colours is quite big: bright blue vs bright green.

That pattern is quite interesting. I will have to try their way to knit fingers for I don't really see how it could work - pick up a stitch from either side of the hand and then just knit like regular... I really wonder how that works out. But that is for another time - I'll be busy enough with this glove for now :cool:

GrumpyGramma 11-01-2013 08:45 PM

Your gloves sound terrific! Could you please link to the pattern that says how to do the fingers, the one you mentioned? I've not yet done gloves and am interested in looking at different ways of doing things. Thanks! :)

KnitBeg 11-02-2013 02:27 PM

The way of knitting I mention for the fingers of the glove are in answer to this pattern which SalmonMac talked about in her reply to my post. I haven't tried it myself.

I myself am just trying to knit the fingers from a combinations of patterns. I think I use the most common method: put a certain amount of stitches from the front (knuckles) and back (palm) of the glove on double pointed needles, put some extra on for the side (either from the side or "create" new stitches) and then just knit in the round.
I am not sure how to do the top of the fingers yet: I think I'll go for one row of decreases (k2tog) and then just a thread through the stitches that are left and pull it all together... this might become a bit bulky though... Maybe I should decrease over more rows, but I think that might make the tips of the fingers too small. So I guess I'll just use a lifeline before I start decreasing ;) Trial and Error

salmonmac 11-02-2013 04:48 PM

Usually the fingers decrease pretty rapidly. Either k2tog around, thread end through a tapistry needle and close up or even thread yarn end through a tapistry needle dierectly from the last round and close up the fingertip.

KnitBeg 11-11-2013 02:53 PM

I did it at the base:

It worked out quite alright if I say so myself :woot: The gloves aren't a snug fit (too big at the bottom, a bit too tight at the fingers) but they'll be wearable and I really do not feel like doing it all again ;) It'll do.

However, the holes at the base of the fingers are a bother. They are there because of the picked up stitches - I just can't get the hang of it :???: It was worse, but this isn't where it should be either. I will try fixing this by sewing it shut somehow, but if anyone has an idea on what to do better on the other fingers - I am ALL EARS! :cool:
For example: where is the best place to pick up stitches? At the bottom, or a bit higher up? In between? Over 2 or over 1 stitch?

GrumpyGramma 11-11-2013 03:42 PM

Lookin' good! Sorry, I've no words of wisdom. I'll be interested in seeing what your conclusions on picking up stitches are. Thanks for sharing.

claireweber 11-12-2013 01:53 AM

I love the idea of knitting the fingers in different colors. It just adds so much interest. I would say to change colors at the base of the finger, on the back side if you are still having trouble with the holes, although you can always find some sewing thread to match and stitch it up if it is really bothersome. I found one on ravelry:

Gloves

Imo if you were to change the color further up the finger it may look 'disjointed'. :teehee:

I really like what you've done. :thumbsup:

KnitBeg 11-12-2013 04:58 AM

I change the colours in the palm - least visible. I am not really following any instructions, I just started knitting and picked up some stitches to amount to the 16sts the other finger has.

I found a site with some ideas about preventing holes:
Futuregirl Craft Blog
I am not too sure what method to use. I need to do it and see it to realize whether it works - I can't do things by just reading. So back to the "trial and error"-method ;)