KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Can I knit something like this? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115153)

KnittinGal 11-02-2013 02:18 PM

Can I knit something like this?

Hello all!

I would really love to make this pretty headband. I seem to have a likeness for anything with beads...

Anyway, I have a little problem. I don't know how to crochet. I would like to knit something that has a similar look and pattern/design. Maybe it's not possible to get something identical, but if I could get pretty close I'd be very happy! :)

Do any of you have some ideas as to knitting something like it? Thank you in advance!

GrumpyGramma 11-02-2013 02:21 PM

Did you try a search for knitted headbands to see if you could find one you like? I can't see detail in the photo but duplicating crochet with knit is at best challenging. If you really like this enough, you might want to learn to crochet so you could make this pattern.

KnittinGal 11-02-2013 02:24 PM

Well, I didn't really look at headbands, but I found this one looking for snoods. This was one of the ones that came up, and I liked the look of it. I will go over and look at headbands, though, and maybe there will be something similar. I should have thought of that earlier...:aww:

And maybe I will have to convince one of my crocheting friends to teach me crochet!

Thanks for the quick response!

GrumpyGramma 11-02-2013 06:02 PM

There are some really good videos to help you learn crochet if you decide to. I and others could help you with some links if you'd like.

justplaincharlotte 11-02-2013 08:38 PM

What a beautiful snood with headband!

From the picture, the headband is all single crochet (sc)with a shell stitch border on the side I can see. The net part looks like sc over chain loops.

The closest thing in appearance to the band that I can think of is garter stitch. There may be a knitted lace border that resembles shell stitch, and there also may be a knitted lace pattern that you can substitute for the crocheted net.

You can check the online stitch patterns directories to find the ones you like. this is only one of them. http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches.htm

KnittinGal 11-02-2013 09:55 PM

Charlotte: Thank you very much for the help. The two stitches you mentioned, single crochet and shell stitch, don't look too hard. I did learn to crochet a few years ago, but I never really got the hang of it. I can remember double crochet, and I believe single crochet.

GrumpyGramma: If you wouldn't mind linking to some good crochet videos, that would be great!

GrumpyGramma 11-02-2013 10:13 PM

After I realized the picture could be seen larger, I saw what Charlotte saw too.

My favorite crochet videos were by Bethintx1. She taught me a lot including foundation single crochet because I sincerely dislike chaining. Others like Mikey. If you want something specific that you're not easily finding just say so. I or someone else can help out.

PS: Linking to the channels seemed to make more sense than a whole bunch of different links.

justplaincharlotte 11-02-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnittinGal (Post 1389146)
Charlotte: Thank you very much for the help. The two stitches you mentioned, single crochet and shell stitch, don't look too hard. I did learn to crochet a few years ago, but I never really got the hang of it. I can remember double crochet, and I believe single crochet.

GrumpyGramma: If you wouldn't mind linking to some good crochet videos, that would be great!

KG, it sounds like you're well on your way to a beautiful crocheted snood! :yay:

claireweber 11-03-2013 04:07 AM

Hey KG - You can certainly knit something similar to that, I did a search on ravelry.com for Knitted Lace Headbands. It is a fairly simple process to add beads, and there are tutorials on the internet that will show you how to do this.

KnittinGal 11-03-2013 10:26 AM

Thanks, claireweber! I didn't think of this at first, but I suppose it would be really easy to just knit a lace headband and then add the snood, using seperate patterns for each. I appreciate your link!