KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   circular needle size (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115212)

Debbie1519 11-07-2013 01:05 PM

circular needle size

Hi everyone

My pattern calls for a size 8 24 inch circular.

Can I use a 29 inch?

I am knitting a hat

Debbie

Debbie1519 11-07-2013 03:18 PM

I don,'t know if I made myself clear or not. I have never knit a hat on a circular needle before so I am not sure if the length of the cable makes a difference. The pattern is for a toddler hat using a 5 mm needle which is 24 inches. I have a size 5 mm which is 29 inches. I would like to know if this would do or should I go out andbuy one which is 24 inches long.
Thanks
Debbie

GrumpyGramma 11-07-2013 04:53 PM

A 24" needle for a toddler hat will require some sort of looping with the cable I'm sure. Does the pattern have instructions for how to deal with this? Can you link to your pattern?

Will your circ cable allow you to pull a loop of it between stitches so you can knit a smaller diameter on it? It depends in part on the length of the cable and in part on how flexible the cable is. There are videos in the Free Videos section for Magic Loop knitting.

HTH and just doesn't add to your confusion.

ETA When using a loop or 2 loops on a circ to allow for smaller diameter knitting, generally speaking more cable is better than less cable.

Jan in CA 11-07-2013 05:40 PM

Is it knit in the round? If so your really need a 16" circular and some DPN for the decrease section or at least a 32" (I prefer 40") for magic loop. 24" is too large for the stitches to fit and too short for magic loop.

GrumpyGramma 11-07-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1389525)
Is it knit in the round? If so your really need a 16" circular and some DPN for the decrease section or at least a 32" (I prefer 40") for magic loop. 24" is too large for the stitches to fit and too short for magic loop.

I'm glad you thought to ask about in the round. :whoosh:

Debbie1519 11-07-2013 07:53 PM

Thanks everyone, yes it is knit in the round so I guess i am off to buy new needles
Debbie

Caters 11-15-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1389525)

I have been able to do magic loop with small cables(circular needles not knitted). It is not impossible.

Jan in CA 11-15-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caters (Post 1390186)
I have been able to do magic loop with small cables(circular needles not knitted). It is not impossible.

Yes, you can do single loop rather than regular magic loop. However, it can be hard on the cables IMO and I find the join is not as nice. YMMV

GrumpyGramma 11-15-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1390187)
Yes, you can do single loop rather than regular magic loop. However, it can be hard on the cables IMO and I find the join is not as nice. YMMV

I broke a cable like that. I could have gotten it replaced I guess but it was my own darned fault and I wouldn't do it. That's abusing the warranty IMO.