Forum Forum (
-   How-to Questions (
-   -   What is the best bind off to use on a ribbed edge? (

claireweber 11-08-2013 08:19 PM

What is the best bind off to use on a ribbed edge?
I'm knitting a pair of boot toppers - they begin and end with a 4X2 rib. I used a knitted cast on and am wondering what would be the best bind off to use.

Thank you in advance.

Jan in CA 11-08-2013 08:40 PM

I would bind off in knits and purls like the pattern.

GrumpyGramma 11-08-2013 09:49 PM

I agree. I'd BO in pattern. The trickier part IMO is making sure it's not a tight BO. Using a larger needle sometimes will be enough. There are ways to get more yarn into the BO such as Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off. Sometimes I find it's too stretchy. I've also used Knitting - Stretchy Sock Bind Off and it seems to be OK. I tried Extra Stretchy, No Flare Bind Off for Ribbing, Continental once and wasn't pleased but I'm not sure I did it right and will try it again. I've modified the Surprisingly Stretchy BO by just doing the yo before purl stitches and working the knits as normal.

salmonmac 11-09-2013 06:21 AM

I do like EZ's sewn bind off or the tubular bind off but I don't know how to change it for 4 x 2 rib. You can do the no flare bind off for 4 x 2. It's essentially the same as binding off in pattern with a twist as you switch from knits to purls and vice versa.
Here's also a stretchability comparison of several bind offs with links to the methods.

claireweber 11-09-2013 11:47 AM

Thank you for all your responses :muah: So far, I've tried a couple of bind offs, too much flare for me; in the process I found a big enough mistake (I'm pretty sure I know what I did wrong) :frog: back halfway through the topper.

I am getting so much practice cabling without a cable needle :cheering: I plan to finish the cable section, then see if one of the 'no-flare' bind-offs will work for me.

claireweber 11-12-2013 01:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:muah: TYSM - So it ends up that both the no-flare video links from each of you are done by the same person, the videos differ somewhat but the technique is the same.

The technique worked really well! I used the twist before changing from knit to purl and vice versa. The sewn bind-off has piqued my interest - I'm keeping it in mind for a future use.

GrumpyGramma 11-17-2013 03:20 PM

I'm wondering how the twist thing would work combined with the knit 2 tog tbl BO. It might be overkill.