KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Alkalizing Snacks (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115359)

claireweber 11-16-2013 10:36 AM

Alkalizing Snacks
 
I subscribe to a website 'Save Our Bones'; I received an email this morning which provided a link for alkalizing snacks. The timing of this email just happens to coincide with our diet topic, and at quick glance, it looks like most if not all of these snacks are gluten free.

17 Bone Health Snacks

The snacks are simple, requiring very little preparation. There is even a recipe for 'Kale Chips' :cheering:

justplaincharlotte 11-16-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claireweber (Post 1390232)
I subscribe to a website 'Save Our Bones'; I received an email this morning which provided a link for alkalizing snacks. The timing of this email just happens to coincide with our diet topic, and at quick glance, it looks like most if not all of these snacks are gluten free.

17 Bone Health Snacks

The snacks are simple, requiring very little preparation. There is even a recipe for 'Kale Chips' :cheering:

Those all look yummy! I love cukes with salt and vinegar. :inlove:

That said, I have to wonder if the cukes with apple cider vinegar being 100% alkaline is a typo. I'd think at best it's what they call balanced at 80/20 because vinegar is diluted acetic acid.

Maybe my thinking cap is on too tight today.;)

claireweber 11-16-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte (Post 1390242)
Those all look yummy! I love cukes with salt and vinegar. :inlove:

That said, I have to wonder if the cukes with apple cider vinegar being 100% alkaline is a typo. I'd think at best it's what they call balanced at 80/20 because vinegar is diluted acetic acid.

Maybe my thinking cap is on too tight today.;)

ACV is considered to have an alkaline effect on the body once it is digested; perhaps this is the reasoning behind giving it a 100% rating. There are so many types of vinegar out there; I have a friend, I'm seeing her tonight, who told me that her doctor has her using a particular type of vinegar. I've forgotten which one, I will definitely remember to ask. Curiouser and Curiouser :think:

jinxnit55 11-16-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claireweber (Post 1390248)
ACV is considered to have an alkaline effect on the body once it is digested; perhaps this is the reasoning behind giving it a 100% rating. There are so many types of vinegar out there; I have a friend, I'm seeing her tonight, who told me that her doctor has her using a particular type of vinegar. I've forgotten which one, I will definitely remember to ask. Curiouser and Curiouser :think:

It might be apple cider vinegar, some say it's good for cholesterol.

jinxnit55 11-17-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claireweber (Post 1390232)
I subscribe to a website 'Save Our Bones'; I received an email this morning which provided a link for alkalizing snacks. The timing of this email just happens to coincide with our diet topic, and at quick glance, it looks like most if not all of these snacks are gluten free.

17 Bone Health Snacks

The snacks are simple, requiring very little preparation. There is even a recipe for 'Kale Chips' :cheering:

Yay! lots of those things are my favorites (love apple and cheese, dates and yogurt). I have tried kale chips and don't like them that much. Kale is supposed to be amazingly good for you, though, so a clever friend of mine devised this recipe:

Kale/lemon/garlic dip:

Take a bunch of raw fresh kale, cut the leaves off the stalks, and mince it into very thin strips.

Mix the kale with equal amounts of olive oil, Italian bread crumbs, and parmesan cheese (ex. 1.2 cup of each). Measurements don't have to be exact, but roughly close.

Add several cloves of fresh garlic, minced. Add several tablespoonfuls of fresh lemon juice. Add some ground pepper.

I like to throw in a handful of pine nuts. Mix it all up and add more bread crumbs, lemon juice, parmesan, or garlic to taste; the idea is to have a nice chunky dip.

You could do this in a Cuisinart, if you didn't over mix it.

This is scrumptious w/ crackers, rounds of baguette, or Stacy's pita chips. I've taken it to several potlucks and people begged for the recipe, they didn't even realize it had kale in it! You could do it with spinach, too, I guess.

Also, most people in the US are lacking vitamin D. I think ladies especially should take 1-2,000 IUs daily. Helps with bone and muscle health, balance, joint pain and mood as you age.

justplaincharlotte 11-19-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claireweber (Post 1390248)
ACV is considered to have an alkaline effect on the body once it is digested; perhaps this is the reasoning behind giving it a 100% rating. There are so many types of vinegar out there; I have a friend, I'm seeing her tonight, who told me that her doctor has her using a particular type of vinegar. I've forgotten which one, I will definitely remember to ask. Curiouser and Curiouser :think:

Hmmm, nifty. This curious cat learns something new every day. :) I'll have to look it up to figure out how that works... Nosy is as nosy does.:teehee:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:45 PM.


copyright knittinghelp.com