KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   FO - Baby Cardigan (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115688)

Caz 12-09-2013 08:12 AM

FO - Baby Cardigan

I thought in the interest of getting involved in the community I would post a pic of the cardigan I just finished up. I started this about 10 years ago and never got around to finishing it. I set aside some time to knit the band and sew it all together, which is all I had left to do, and this is how it's turned out:

There are some things I could have done better. The buttonholes are a bit dodgy, and I'm not sure why. I should practice on a swatch next time and get it right. I tried mattress stitch for the first time (on the band) and love it. Much better than the backstitch I used on the sleeves.

Pattern was from Patons Book 5000, yarn was Patons Tiny Tasman 4 ply, and needle size was 2.75mm.

salmonmac 12-09-2013 08:24 AM

Caz, that's adorable! I'm so glad you finished this little sweater. It will have a chance to shine on some lucky baby. So sweet.

I don't know if this is the buttonhole that you use but it works very neatly.

Caz 12-09-2013 08:34 AM

Thanks salmonmac. I actually tried the one-row buttonhole, but I couldn't get it to work. I ended up just using the one that's in the pattern, which is a 2-row 'simple' buttonhole. i.e. cast off two on one row, then turn - cast-on 2 - turn at the same place on the next row. I think my problem may have stemmed from the fact that I was doing my cast on and cast off in knit (on both sides) and the band is in moss? I end up with a loop in the middle of the buttonhole that almost bisects the hole. I thought I could fix it up with a reinforcing stitch at the end, which is why I persevered, but when it came time to do it, it didn't look feasible with the way the holes turned out, so I have just left it as they are good enough to be functional.

GrumpyGramma 12-09-2013 11:26 AM

Very sweet, definitely worth finishing. :thumbsup:
When you do buttonholes again, or anything where you might run into difficulty, be sure to post your questions. Someone will be able to help you figure it out.

butlersabroad 12-09-2013 02:49 PM

That's lovely, worth taking the time to finish. Pretty pattern.

claireweber 12-09-2013 06:03 PM

That is a very nice cardigan! I have a fondness for the seed stitch :heart: I learned to do it during my first and only knitting lesson.

The mattress stitch is great - it's nice to have a stitch that is reliably accurate.

Thank you so much for posting a picture, we all love to see what our fellow knitters are working on. Welcome to our community! :grphug:

justplaincharlotte 12-09-2013 08:20 PM

That's so precious!! :heart:

jinxnit55 12-10-2013 10:16 PM

I like the seed stitch chevrons on the hem!

nonny2t 12-11-2013 01:34 PM

It looks great!!!